Anyone have ice on their chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I have a masonry chimney with what I believe is a slate slab on the top. It's not uncommon for there to be an icicle or two around the top opening of the flue for my woodstove. I figured it's the heat coming up the flue melting snow that is on top of the slab which then turns to ice as it runs down the chimney. Does that sound right?

My other thought was that the ice could be forming from the moisture being burned off the wood. I believe my wood is fairly dry although I do not have a moisture meter to check it. Most of it has been seasoned for 18 or 12 months and is split on the smaller side.

Then again moisture could be created by the hot air coming out of the flue meeting the very cold air outside and then form the ice.

Any thoughts on what the cause most likey is?

I have icicles forming on the cap of my external SS chimney on cold days like today. Seems that they are forming when the burn is in the lower stages then being melted off and falling with each reload/peak stage as I have bits of them on the ground. I too wonder how many others get these.

Water source in my case has to be moisture from wood and/or combustion as there isn't enough on top of my cap to collect snow, however it has in fact been snowing for the last several days so just maybe it is melting on contact and collecting? Will have to keep an eye on it, I don't think it is a problem unless someone here jumps in with something...

It's been snowing here for 4 days straight which is why my original thought was snow melting then forming the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.