Anyone know how to remove.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Caked chemical fire extinguisher material from glass? Had a "situation" last night where I could not seem to get the fire under control and took some drastic measures to eliminate the heat. Stove is fine other than now I have caked extinguisher fire suppressant on my glass. Yes, an odd inquiry, but I am hoping someone has also had this experience.

Thanks, Ray, but I think I am well beyond this initial stage of cleanup. The fire was not completely extinguished and the powder caked to the glass. Looks like I will be ordering two new pieces of glass.

Thanks, Ray, but I think I am well beyond this initial stage of cleanup. The fire was not completely extinguished and the powder caked to the glass. Looks like I will be ordering two new pieces of glass.
If your extinguisher has sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) it should clean easily.. Check your fire extinguisher ingredient list as you might be OK.. You have nothing to lose if you have to replace the glass..

Ray

BK owners use a razor blade to clean the glass.

How hot was the Stovetop, Pipe? That seems like a very drastic measure.

thank God everything turned for the better. It was different material but my new to me Defiant glass was heavily discolored. I wet sanded body shop style and essentially grinded the material off then brought it back up to a presentable level. not crystal clear but will get me a season or two.

Reactions: raybonz
How hot was the Stovetop, Pipe? That seems like a very drastic measure.
Hot, damn hot. Started by opening the side door to let some cool air in and break the secondaries but was quite unhappy with that response. Eventually decided I had to bring the whole fire down to a respectable level quickly. Unfortunately, I was not thinking quickly enough to grab the ash bucket instead.

Did you have a thermometer on the stove or the pipe. I just wonder how hot it really got.
My Leyden ran away and was glowing on the back. The stove top was about 900, but the stove pipe and chimney wasn't too bad.
It was scary for sure.

Well, the IR said error, and let's just say I did not need a light on to find the stove, even if there had not been any glass in the doors.

So, the stove was glowing? What parts?
It's kinda odd for a Jotul to do this. Bummer, maybe a bad gasket somewhere?

I think that ehow article is a bit over the top. Ammonium phosphate is no more toxic than common table salt...both have an 'LD50' (lethal dose for 50% of the population) of about 3000mg/kg body weight, meaning a 175 pound man would need to ingest about 9 ounces of the stuff to see possible toxic effects. Ammonium phosphate is also used as a 'yeast nutrient'

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927593 (msds table salt)
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927337 (msds ammonium phosphate)

For purposes of clean-up, I would treat both chemicals the same as table salt as well. Both the bicarbonate and phosphate chemicals are water soluble, so I'd probably pop the glass out, and give it a good cleaning and rinse in the sink. If the stuff is really caked on, you might need to let it set and/or use a stream of warm water to help the dissolving process.

The ehow article warns against water because they are discussing more of a room setting...if you spilled table salt on the floor or carpet, you obviously wouldn't throw water on it to get it up. Though if you spilled it on a dinner plate or a cooking tray, you could easily rinse it off...same with your glass.

Good luck!

Well, the IR said error, and let's just say I did not need a light on to find the stove, even if there had not been any glass in the doors.
Hmmm I am in suspense here as to how this happened.. Large load of small splits, large underfire air leak, door open, or .. ?

Ray

I think that ehow article is a bit over the top. Ammonium phosphate is no more toxic than common table salt...both have an 'LD50' (lethal dose for 50% of the population) of about 3000mg/kg body weight, meaning a 175 pound man would need to ingest about 9 ounces of the stuff to see possible toxic effects. Ammonium phosphate is also used as a 'yeast nutrient'

For purposes of clean-up, I would treat both chemicals the same as table salt as well. Both the bicarbonate and phosphate chemicals are water soluble, so I'd probably pop the glass out, and give it a good cleaning and rinse in the sink. If the stuff is really caked on, you might need to let it set and/or use a stream of warm water to help the dissolving process.

The ehow article warns against water because they are discussing more of a room setting...if you spilled table salt on the floor or carpet, you obviously wouldn't throw water on it to get it up. Though if you spilled it on a dinner plate or a cooking tray, you could easily rinse it off...same with your glass.

Good luck!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http://www.kidde.com/Documents/kidde_commercial_abc_fkakidde55mp_drychemical.pdf&ei=YDwFUZ31DueM0QHXvYGIBg&usg=AFQjCNHMpXWGDTrFS3cpndeEDSMxDppTwA&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IZYjTBaYGI07Bqg&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Thinking a larger than normal bed of coals and high draft due to cold caused this. The area near the collar and the decorative center piece took the brunt of it.

Thinking a larger than normal bed of coals and high draft due to cold caused this. The area near the collar and the decorative center piece took the brunt of it.
OK so did you add a large load to the large load of coals? I think this can be a learning experience for all of us and why I want details.. Glad nothing bad happened!

Ray

The coal bed was a little larger than when I normally load, and yes, the stove was packed to the hilt for the night. I think just too much off gassing for the old girl to handle. Lesson learned.

The coal bed was a little larger than when I normally load, and yes, the stove was packed to the hilt for the night. I think just too much off gassing for the old girl to handle. Lesson learned.
OK thanks remkel.. I suspect the splits were smaller too as I know they can all light at the same time and create an inferno.. I have seen the stove get pretty hot loading onto a hot coal bed.. I find raking coals to the front will give a more controlled burn if the air is throttled down at the right time and still maintain secondaries..

Ray

Yes, That is how it usually here.

You could try the blade from a utility knife, they're a bit stiffer than a single edge razor blade. Use vise grips for a handle.

Interesting. I didn't have an "incident" but I did notice that I had built up a much larger coal bed than usual during the last few days of unusually cold weather.

I decided to burn them down a bit by using extra air. I had very recently cleaned out most of my ash, thereby increasing the volume of the firebox dramatically.
Suffice it to say, there was a LOT of fuel in the stove. The excess air immediatley caused a great increase in heat output, which I readily regulated with air control. I noted at the time a potential for an "incident", had I loaded more fresh fuel and not been very careful with the air settings. Needless to say, I carefully burned off the excess coals. ( I am talking about 2 or more cubic feet of hot burning coals).

Had a fleece shirt burn on the glass of mine just before Christmas. Using a good metal spatula to scrape did the trick. It was on the outside of the glass however. Look up how to clean various things off of oven cooktops. People always coming up with creative ways to removed burned items on those.

Had a fleece shirt burn on the glass of mine just before Christmas. Using a good metal spatula to scrape did the trick. It was on the outside of the glass however. Look up how to clean various things off of oven cooktops. People always coming up with creative ways to removed burned items on those.
Thanks

Good luck!

Egads . . . I sure hope it's not toxic since I teach fire extinguisher classes and have ended up with this stuff on my uniform and inhaling who knows how much of the stuff over the years.

Unfortunately, I'm not at work so I cannot consult my "Fire Bible" -- two volumes that are the final word on all things related to fire and fire science. If I'm reminded tomorrow and have some time I can look up the info on the toxicity . . . I do know however from memory that the ammonium phosphate is slightly corrosive . . . emphasis on slightly . . . we're not talking battery acid or Alien blood corrosive here.

I think I might try some good hot fires . . . razor . . . maybe even a Magic Eraser to see if that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.