Anyone made soap from wood ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Is it easy enough to do to use a significant amount of wood ash we generate from heating our home?

Is it a cost effective vs. buying soap?

Any experiences welcome. Thx.

Never tried it. I usually use soap to get wood ash off of me. ;lol

Reactions: flyingcow and Vic99
I've made soap as demonstrations at 18th century re enactments and I personally don't recommend it. I hate using Lye or making lye from ash and the smell of melting lard or other animal fat gets gross after awhile. I'm an avid fan of Mother Earth News and have this article (published before I was born) in my archives but have never done it exactly this way.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...ap-from-ashes-zmaz72jfzfre.aspx#axzz2h5sOh4ci

There may be recipes on line to make other ways but at least this will give you an idea of the work involved.

A 3 pk of Ivory is about $2, that's way better IMHO ;)

Good Luck!

Yeah, the only other reason to make it myself other than financial would be animal testing. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.