Anyone need a laugh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Regulations about wood stoves and smoke are written because of people like this.
My stove almost never smokes. I used to have smoke on cold start up, but since switching to a top-down fire, that's been eliminated too. The only time when it happens at all is briefly during a re-fueling. I'm so glad that stoves have gotten better over the years!

Regulations about wood stoves and smoke are written because of people like this.
My stove almost never smokes. I used to have smoke on cold start up, but since switching to a top-down fire, that's been eliminated too. The only time when it happens at all is briefly during a re-fueling. I'm so glad that stoves have gotten better over the years!
Well said

Has anyone noticed how no one on the Alaskan reality shows has a rain cap on their stoves and they are always pouring out smoke? Is this a state wide thing or just the folks on tv?

Has anyone noticed how no one on the Alaskan reality shows has a rain cap on their stoves and they are always pouring out smoke? Is this a state wide thing or just the folks on tv?
Most of the stove models shown in those shows are ancient as well. Don't even look closely at the installs! Spooky. Keep in mind "Made for TV"

I get a plume like that sometimes for about 5-10 minutes after reloading. Luckily it mostly blows into my yard and has a while to dissipate before getting to the neighbors. Then nothing for the next 8 hours.

This is why my town and many other towns in my area of NJ will not issue permits for wood fired boilers, there was a "fad" in the early and mid 2000's for wood boilers in my area, that was followed up with many complaints due to idle smoke, soon after my local towns made ordinances that eliminated wood boilers, unfortunately many were written with one swipe of the paintbrush so today's new gasification boilers arent even given a chance, which is a shame because if used correctly they are pretty clean units.

I also see a lot of this in our area. This past Thursday I was heading out to N.H. and one hour into the ride we went past a large newly built metal shop/garage with smoke rolling out of a steel chimney exiting thru the roof. On our way home Sunday a state trooper flew past me and a mile down the road we came upon this same building on fire with flames shooting out thru the metal siding just below the roofline where the chimney exits. The fire dept. had not yet arrived on the scene. When you see something like this it really hits home on the dangerous situation you put you and your family in with improper burning habits.

NH passed regulations but they are environmental regulations so enforcement is minimal. Call the state environmental folks and they say its local enforcement, call the locals and they say it is a state issue. I had to push hard for our local town to deal with my problem neighbor (a state cop) with an illegal install. They compromised on what they made him do a 30' stack. (by state regulation it would have to be closer to 50' due to terrain) My only out would be to sue.

The 30 foot stack he had to install helped and it looks like when oil prices dropped a bit he got lazy and runs the oil boiler more often in shoulder season. This cuts down on lot of issues as the air damper does not close as often in cold weather and the stack plume is lifted up off the ground to get better dispersion.

The real problem here (besides the smoke) is that someone not heating with wood sees this and when they get home and hear how back wood stoves are for the environment, they VOTE to ban wood heating.

At my local gun club I am an RSO (range safety officer). When someone is not being careful or following the rules, I always approach cautiously, respectfully and with a desire to impart a degree of education. Approaching a situation like this would have me even more concerned!

The real problem here (besides the smoke) is that someone not heating with wood sees this and when they get home and hear how back wood stoves are for the environment, they VOTE to ban wood heating.

At my local gun club I am an RSO (range safety officer). When someone is not being careful or following the rules, I always approach cautiously, respectfully and with a desire to impart a degree of education. Approaching a situation like this would have me even more concerned!
Yeah people can get pretty annoyed when you tell them they are using their woodstove wrong.

Used to be a guy in the small town near here where I worked in a retail building. He lived across the alley a few yards from our rear door. He had built himself a "tablesaw" by bolting a skil saw upside down to a sheet of ply and would spend hours cutting up boards he hauled in from the landfill in an old rusted beater sedan, boards sticking way out a side window. Mostly half-rotted, heavily-painted old lumber. He would burn it all day, too, and the smoke and smell engulfed the neighborhood. No one did anything about it because he was an old geezer. Hideous odors from the stuff on the wood and dense smoke. Almost as bad was the shrieking noise of his skil saw.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
Talking to them is certainly worth a try. But in. Most cases I have come across with customers they won't change.

In most areas the authorities can't and won't want to do anything. It isn't against the law
It is in the western states and AK but enforcement is weak due to lack of personel.

It is in the western states and AK but enforcement is weak due to lack of personel.
Yes. You are absolutely correct I said that in a later post but I should have clarified there.