Anyone try and burn these pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrblkk

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Northampton, PA
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pellet-Stove-Fuel-Pellets-Discounted-in-Bulk_W0QQitemZ190277298701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190277298701&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50#ebayphotohosting

I'm just curious on how they burn. I would guess as the description says, that they have more ash. I might get a bag just to try for the heck of it.

You best check the warranty information provided by your stove manufacturer as they have been known to include clauses that will void your warranty if you burn other than the material they state the stove is designed to burn. Remember there is likely to be chemicals that are not in wood pellets in those recycled paper pellets, possibly metals from ink.

I would be veeeeeeeeeeery wary about buying pellets on e-bay. With a dealer, you have recourse if the pellets are crap. Pay the extra, get 'em from a known source.

why take the risk? If you want to save money and don't mind the additional ash maintenance then just go buy standard grade wood pellets or hmmm say Athens (from what I hear) :)

I just want to try them not burn them full time as my main source of pellet fuel! I'm sort of into seeing the different alternatives to wood pellets out there. I believe in a few years we are going to see more of these types of fuel (paper, switchgrass,etc.) become more mainstream. We probably have a ways to go on refining the "recipe" on those types of fuel, though.

I agree that we will see more alternative pellet fuels in the future. The future pellets such as switchgrass and others will be designed with stoves (like pellets stoves) in mind. These pellets that you are looking at were not manufactured for burning in stoves, nor probably tested for the affects of burning them. While trying a bag or two would most likely not do any harm, I am not sure what would be accomplished to make it worth it. But, thats just MHO.

codebum said:
I agree that we will see more alternative pellet fuels in the future. The future pellets such as switchgrass and others will be designed with stoves (like pellets stoves) in mind. These pellets that you are looking at were not manufactured for burning in stoves, nor probably tested for the affects of burning them. While trying a bag or two would most likely not do any harm, I am not sure what would be accomplished to make it worth it. But, thats just MHO.

Nothing would be accomplished other than satisfying my sense of curiosity. When I stop out out the "home stores" and see a different brand of pellet that I've never used before, I usually pick up a bad just to try. I guess I'm just weird that way :)

I do the same thing. And as curiosity has it, I'll be interested to know your results if you do purchase some?

Wheres the big savings on this? At 1.50 per 12lb. bag you would need to spend about $5.00 on the pellets to get the same amount of pellets that you find in a 40lb wood pellet bag. A bag of wood pellets here runs from a low of $5.00 to a high of $8.00 per bag. Who knows if paper pellets will last as long or burn as clean as wood pellets? I am sure that there is a reason we did not see paper pellets make their debut when we had the wood pellet shortage last year and many people could not even purchase wood pellets regardless of the price. Something tells me that the paper pellets may be good for nothing but super clumping kitty litter!

Just out of curiosity I looked up paper pellets on Google and although I could not find information on how the perform compared to wood, the use of paper pellets as a fuel source is not uncommon. I even saw an article where they were talking about pelletizing stuff like animal waste and household garbage as a fuel source. Who knows were this will go. Maybe in the future you will be able to take a dump and your toilet will produce a load of pellets with it. Maybe we can even find a way to combine the pellet stove and toilet into one single unit that sits in the middle of the livingroom. You can read your utility bill while sitting on the toilet and sing plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is. This will add a whole new meaning to the word "hopper".

LMAO...yeah maybe we can just take a pill that will cause us output pellets when we take a dump...just like a rabbit. Then all we have to do is sit on the hopper. This post just got too wierd.
:p

Moderator please mod up the last two posts +2 and if you assign any brownie points I vote for +0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.