Anyone with a Drolet Eco 65?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Looks like a rather large stove to me but I`m wondering how noisey it is with a 500CFM blower.

Gio I don't own the Eco 65. But I can assure you, You won't hear it upstairs. I cheated with my Omega. Added a 465 CFM blower and ducted the heat upstairs. Even with a vent in our bed room. The noise is very suttle. Doesn't effect my light sleeping. Insulated duct will dull the noise for you. We do have a couple members here that have the stove and are planning to duct it from the basement. Check these threads

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/90492/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/90816/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/90462/

One note to consider is with a ducted stove and no return air like a furnace your still going to warm your basement with the return air. As the air makes its way back to the stoves convection path, It will pull some warm air down the stairs. Just a heads up. If you only want to heat upstairs? Better to get a pellet furnace with a closed return air loop. It will isolate the heat from the basement. Insulating the duct work also isolates the heat transfer and allows more heat to the upstairs area. The radiant of the furnace itself will warm the basement enough to ward off freezing.

j-takeman said:
Gio I don't own the Eco 65. But I can assure you, You won't hear it upstairs. I cheated with my Omega. Added a 465 CFM blower and ducted the heat upstairs. Even with a vent in our bed room. The noise is very suttle. Doesn't effect my light sleeping. Insulated duct will dull the noise for you. We do have a couple members here that have the stove and are planning to duct it from the basement. Check these threads

One note to consider is with a ducted stove and no return air like a furnace your still going to warm your basement with the return air. As the air makes its way back to the stoves convection path, It will pull some warm air down the stairs. Just a heads up. If you only want to heat upstairs? Better to get a pellet furnace with a closed return air loop. It will isolate the heat from the basement. Insulating the duct work also isolates the heat transfer and allows more heat to the upstairs area. The radiant of the furnace itself will warm the basement enough to ward off freezing.

That`s encouraging.
If I went with a stove the size of this Econ 65 I`d want to heat the finished basement too especially since the location is in the middle of the large finished room there. Our basement door is always open and one floor register 12" square would serve as a cold air return.
I like that split plenum kit , one could go up thru the floor above the stove and the other for the finished basement.
3K is a bit steep but if Oil hits $4 a gallon or more payback could be 2 yrs.or less.

The 2nd floor is 3 beds and a bath , usually unoccupied (60 degrees with the thermostat turned off ) and not a lot of warm air rises up there . I got to figure out how to get some of that cold air back down without cutting holes in the floor. Maybe a fan on the floor at the top of the stairs blowing cold air down will help.

I'm still waiting on my vent piping to arrive. Its been one thing after another. I won't mention who I purchased from. But when it arrives and I get the stove installed I will give you all the feedback I can. I will be installing in my finished basement. I will test it out without the duct kit to start but will more than likely end up installing the kit and running one duct directly upstairs which is my family room.

Gio said:
j-takeman said:

That`s encouraging.
If I went with a stove the size of this Econ 65 I`d want to heat the finished basement too especially since the location is in the middle of the large finished room there. Our basement door is always open and one floor register 12" square would serve as a cold air return.
I like that split plenum kit , one could go up thru the floor above the stove and the other for the finished basement.
3K is a bit steep but if Oil hits $4 a gallon or more payback could be 2 yrs.or less.

The 2nd floor is 3 beds and a bath , usually unoccupied (60 degrees with the thermostat turned off ) and not a lot of warm air rises up there . I got to figure out how to get some of that cold air back down without cutting holes in the floor. Maybe a fan on the floor at the top of the stairs blowing cold air down will help.

They are only $1,999.00 on Northern Tool site. At least last week they were. Its only 1k less than what you said, but thats a 33% faster return than you stated??

Gonna look into it now..

DexterDay said:
Gio said:
j-takeman said:

That`s encouraging.

They are only $1,999.00 on Northern Tool site. At least last week they were. Its only 1k less than what you said, but thats a 33% faster return than you stated??

Gonna look into it now..
Thats where I got mine and what I paid.

I thought I saw they were not available there anymore.
They still have the plenum kit but thats it.

I just looked and don't see it. Must have been a end of year sale. Cheapest one I see is 2,700.
Guess I bettter order the plennum kit as well before thats gone!

If it shares the same components as the Euromax, it is a little loud on high. It's very typical and tolorable on medium and low settings.

Franks said:
If it shares the same components as the Euromax, it is a little loud on high. It's very typical and tolorable on medium and low settings.

I noticed you're a dealer of Paromax pellet stoves (http://firesidechatts.com/paromax/). Can you give us a review on this stove line? I'm particularly intrigued that they incorporate the gasification process. Are these durable? Depenable? What about price? Thanks for any helpful info. you can provide.

Hi All.

Completed my setup with mine, and I have a register going above in dining room and the other one
in the the basement outside the furnace room.

With a Tstat and set on Hi/Lo at setting 3, I keep the house at 72F.
Above 14F it cycles from Hi to Low and did shutdown after 45 minutes
being on pilot and because of no heat request from Tstat.
But later on restarted as it should.

At 5F the night before, the ON period was of course longer and did not shut-off as
heat was required within the 45 minutes period.

Chain said:
Franks said:

I noticed you're a dealer of Paromax pellet stoves (http://firesidechatts.com/paromax/). Can you give us a review on this stove line? I'm particularly intrigued that they incorporate the gasification process. Are these durable? Depenable? What about price? Thanks for any helpful info. you can provide.

I'll offer my "opinion" briefly here. Dont want to hijack the thread and stir up any trouble

They are just as durable as any other stove I have sold, as long as they are operated properly. Very dependable. I can run ours 2 weeks at a pop and any issues I have had in the showroom have been user error or fuel "experiments" They make 2 models, the Europa with a 75lb hopper which we sell for $4799 and a Rafael with a 55lb hopper for $4399.

If you search the forum you can find endless discussions on these, some very heated.

The reason I burn it : It does at 2lbs per hour of fuel what all my other stoves need 3-4 lbs per hour to do, which is heat 1/2 of our showroom. Pellets cost money, so I want to burn less pellets. Also, the auto battery backup makes for less drama if we get a power flicker. Lastly, its quiet so its much less of a distraction in the showroom.

If you have more specific questions, you can feel free to email me or start another thread.

Franks said:
Chain said:
Franks said:

I'll offer my "opinion" briefly here. Dont want to hijack the thread and stir up any trouble

They are just as durable as any other stove I have sold, as long as they are operated properly. Very dependable. I can run ours 2 weeks at a pop and any issues I have had in the showroom have been user error or fuel "experiments" They make 2 models, the Europa with a 75lb hopper which we sell for $4799 and a Rafael with a 55lb hopper for $4399.

If you search the forum you can find endless discussions on these, some very heated.

The reason I burn it : It does at 2lbs per hour of fuel what all my other stoves need 3-4 lbs per hour to do, which is heat 1/2 of our showroom. Pellets cost money, so I want to burn less pellets. Also, the auto battery backup makes for less drama if we get a power flicker. Lastly, its quiet so its much less of a distraction in the showroom.

If you have more specific questions, you can feel free to email me or start another thread.

Thanks for the helpful information. One last thing, how many square feet would you say the Europa can heat? I think their website mentions up to 2750, but that seems like a lot for a stove that only can produce 50,000 BTU's. Thoughts?

Love the Heat said:
Hi All.

Completed my setup with mine, and I have a register going above in dining room and the other one
in the the basement outside the furnace room.

With a Tstat and set on Hi/Lo at setting 3, I keep the house at 72F.
Above 14F it cycles from Hi to Low and did shutdown after 45 minutes
being on pilot and because of no heat request from Tstat.
But later on restarted as it should.

At 5F the night before, the ON period was of course longer and did not shut-off as
heat was required within the 45 minutes period.

Your setup sounds pretty much identical to what mine would be.
Mine being in the middle of my basement family room (chimney + floor vent location) , the ducting wouldn`t be all that attractive but if oil goes sky high the ducting might begin to look rather good. The truth is my P-38 resembles a black toilet bowl anyway so i could probably live with a bit of exposed ducting.

I dont have anyone heating 2750 square feet. I have a few customers doing about 2000. The challenge always is moving the heat created more than the heat created itself.

Also note, it is a 35k btu stove but the brochures claim it heats like a 50K btu stove. I agree with them but its hard to find the science to prove it. I just have customers come to the showroom and say " feel this heat, this is two pounds per hour. Go find another stove and run it at 2 lbs per hour and figger the rest out yourself"

Again, thanks for the info. Just outside of Central Square, eh? That's not too far from me (I live in Lewis County) so I may have to stop by some time and take a look at this stove as I'm very intrigued about the gasification process. I honestly wasn't aware that there was a stove manufacturer that incorporated this process into a pellet stove.

Stop by, I got a handful of stoves I can fire up for ya. Make sure you tell me you're a hearth.com member. It may get ya a free cup of coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.