Anyone with a finger on the pulse of the pricing of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can debate the oil versus pellets strictly on price however I think another issue is how are we going to stuff dinosaurs back in the ground to replenish the crude oil supply. I doubt that we will run out of crude in my lifetime however I have a couple of grand kids to think about and their future on this planet. Hopefully they will adopt my thoughts about wastefulness and think about the future rather than the minute that we live in.

Pellets are one of the renewable resources that we have available at this time and while I'm not a tree huger I'd like to think about the future and leave this planet in as good of shape as I can. I realize that everyone thinks about these things differently however in my world I isn't all about me and my checkbook and leaving a bit for others is a plus in my world.

Using that logic, it would stand to reason that oil (being finite as you say) SHOULD be pricey, and the renewable (endless supply and low materials cost) source of trees SHOULD dictate lower prices. As far as oil being renewable, that's a matter of debate as you can theorize it is in fact renewable and replenished. That's for another day...

Ya the theory that oil is not a renewable source is slowly being replace with new science showing otherwise. A simple search in most browsers will show how , where , why of it, and who is studying it ( both Russia and US incidentally). If a green movement member wants to stick their head in the sand and swallow what they have been spoon fed by a huge "green" industry so be it , we can't help that. There are several scientists now saying there is strong evidence that dinosaurs had nothing to do or very little to do with crude oil. Ya know if you just stop for a minute and think about it, grab your whits about you for one minute, just how many of those suckers roamed the earth anyway ? No it's far more likely dinosaur evidence trickled into crude than created it. The big scare 40 years ago now is that by now we would be out of fuel or on very low reserves. That was the scare tactic used during the so called fuel crisis, and instead we have more supplies now than we did then. These same scientists have seen signs that our crude stocks are gaining not losing. The same scientists have been able to synthesize oil production in labs using the compounds they have found the earth uses . IE, they have made crude oil in a lab not using one single piece of dinosaur evidence. Anyone can do the same search I've done in any browser and read about it, but first you have to take your head out of the sand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenix Hatchling
There's a limit to renewable biomass sustainability of resource extraction as well.

Home Depot pellets are still $259 here. The 200 tons that were available several weeks ago are now at 60 tons. Either sold or moved to another store. I know they move pallets of LED lightbulbs from store to store. I've gone back to buy more and the sale display and the skids on the top shelf had all been moved to another store not worth my time to drive to. Maybe they've sold that many pellets here. The four skids out front of the garden dept. have the same snow on them that was there two weeks ago. Might not mean anything -they could be display items. There's no more snowblowers, the empty space has been mostly filled with this Spring's riding mowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.