1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Appalachian 4N1 insert.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Giles, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Giles

Giles Member

Loc:
    N.W. Alabama
    I have a friend who has an old Appalachian Trailmaster 4N1 fireplace insert for sale. Information about this stove is limited and I am confused about the "4N1"
    What does it mean?
    I posted here because I think it may have been equipped with a catalist of some type, but the insert shows no signs of ever having one.
    Identification was taken from a factory mounted tag.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. central_scrutinizer

central_scrutinizer Member

Loc:
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    4N1 is just a model name and you should read any type of multiple use into the name. The stove is a catalytic stove. The stove is rated to heat about 2000 SF max. I may be able to get an owner's manual if you need one. My store has sold Appalachian stoves for many years. I don't know what other questions you may have. Just holler and I will try to answer if I know. I almost forgot, you will need to have the year of manufacture if you want to make sure you get the correct parts for the stove. Appalachian changed a lot of designs around 88-89 and it will matter when you go to get replacement cats. The date of manufacture should be on that tag in the back.
  3. AppalachianStan

AppalachianStan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clover SC
    central_scrutinizer, I have the Appalachian 52 and need a owner's manual and I need the cat's for it can you help out?
  4. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I have the 52. This will be my 3rd season with it and it has been a pain. First thing is make sure it as it cat's it dose not burn right with out them. It like really dry fire wood.
  5. central_scrutinizer

Loc:
    While I admit that Appalachian has had some problems, especially recently, the 52 bay has been a great stove for many years. If the cats are clean and intact, and you are reaching a high enough temp before you engage the cats ( at least 600 degrees is what I like to see) then you shouldn't be having a problem with this stove. I am not trying to defend Appalachian, it's just that I have sold hundred of their stoves over the years and, even with all the recent problems the company has has as a whole, their stoves still burn well and provide good heat and long burn times. You may have to wait 6 weeks to get a new cat housing, but they burn well :)
  6. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I am glad you have showed up. I have a post here on my stove. It has looked like that no one has seen my stove. I have email Appalachian about my stove and no reply and called them no luck. I though I have been on my own with this stove. I have to get the cat's for it. The guy I bought it from took them out. I hope after that I can get the stove working right. I can not afford a new stove.
  7. central_scrutinizer

Loc:
    I've been selling their stoves for years and years, and I sometimes can't get a response from them. They have downsized a lot and are spread pretty thin these days. Sucks for the customer. We are as knowledgeable on Appalachian stoves as anyone. I am sure we can get you what you need. I sent you a PM with our website. I am a little leery about getting too commercialized on here. I don't want folks to think I'm trying to use the site as a market. I just like trying to help people with problems. Please call if you get a chance. You will want to speak with Terry if at all possible. I stay busy doing our web stuff, but he should be free to help you out.
  8. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC