Appalachian 52 BAY Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
Pulled the trigger and sent my check to Servicesales for my new Appalachian 52 BAY. I hope to get it before we run out of cold weather to give it a try. Will update this thread on how the install goes and my thoughts on the insert.

Not to many reviews out there for this insert so I am flying blind and hope it does well.

Attachments

• 52-bay.jpg
    52-bay.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,895
Just couldn't stay away from a cat huh?

Should be a good heater.

Have you priced the replacement proprietary refractory lining in the 52 Bay? I never have seen a source or price for it.

Good to hear that. I always thought they had custom refractory panels in them.

Sorry bout that.

Do the new ones come with a clouter of cats?

Sorry, clowder of cats. I type all this from a cell phone. No spell check or fat finger protection.

Clowder is a group of cats, i took liberty of using the feline version. But...does this unit have mulitple cats?

With the refractory bricks issue still stuck in my head I had to set out to see if I could find pictures of the inside of the 52 bay to put my mind at ease, found one and I am happy to see firebricks.

Attachments

• 52bayold.jpg
    52bayold.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 5,982
Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed on the dealer's site that this stove has either a 6" or 8" flue. However, the manufacturer website states it is 8".

wood4free said:
I noticed on the dealer's site that this stove has either a 6" or 8" flue. However, the manufacturer website states it is 8".

Not sure what website you are looking at but it lists 6" or 8" as well. http://www.appalachianstove.com/wood-stoves-52-bay.php

Appalachian actually custom makes a 8" to 6" reducer for this insert.

My mistake on the flue size. I was looking at either the 32XLB or the 36BW in error and they both list 8 inch flues. Looking forward to hearing how this insert works out for you. Just wondering why you didn't consider the Blaze King Princess insert? I know it is more expensive.

wood4free said:
Just wondering why you didn't consider the Blaze King Princess insert? I know it is more expensive.

I considered it but after waiting to see if BK would fix the issue with Fireside distributors price jacking their products here on the East Coast I decided against it. Not trying to start an anti-BK thread with that statement but it is my humble opinion only so please don't turn this thread into a flame war.

I have seen that Appalachian has been in business for quite some time with very little reviews here at hearth.com, I like to beta test stuff so the price that servicesales gave me on this insert made me pull the trigger to test this stove out, if I don't like it I can sell it and hopefully not lose much.

Same thing with my SBI Flame XTD 1.5, got a good enough deal on it to make it worth beta testing, and now people on here can know more about them.

Mellow, that new stove is a good looking unit. I'll watch for pics of the completed project.

Apparently the appliance connector that Appalachian makes is custom, they call it an Otis Ring. It is for reducing from 8" to 6" made especially for flex liners, it is an all in one connector, all the other connectors out there would need some sort of jerry rigging to make it fit a flex liner, hence why I have been waiting to get it. Part of my review was going to be on the special connector, I am curious to see what it looks like.

From what I have been told since the heating season is over Appalachian is dragging their feet making more of these special adapters, I personally wonder if it is not a money issue, I have given them till next week to get one made and shipped out, I figure a month is more than enough time to either find one from another dealer or make one and ship it out.

Dang it. Now I have to wait until next season to see how that steel beauty does for you. I have always been curious about them and the High Valley 2500 also. LIkes me them big steel stoves.