Aquastat Bulb Mounting Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
Hello All.

So Im amazingly close to almost having a boiler system that has all of its pipes connected! For the want of a few reducing fittings, Im left waiting.

In the meantime, Im working on taking care of all of my wiring and power connections, so that as soon as the fittings are done I can finish filling the system and get to firing.

I have two big conundrums right now (see my other thread for the second). The first is in regards to mounting an aquastat bulb.

Im following the Tarm PT-1 diagram, and I ordered an aquastat per their diagram. Its an open on rise model, but it has the remote mounted bulb connected with the long capillary tube. At this point, there is not a thermal well that I can use to put it in, and Im guessing that Tarm would stick it to a pipe or the side of the tank. So my question to everyone who does this lots more than me is:

How the heck do I get this thing to work for me? Can I just tape it to the top of my piping manifold? Use hose clamps (gently)? Thermal paste like I would use on a computer CPU? Do I need another Aquastat? Im really hoping I can use the one I have, since it would be a real bummer otherwise.

Happy New Year!

You can attach it to the manifold. I'd wrap it in insulation to get a more accurate reading.

The dial nthe aquastat ay not sync up with the actual system temps as well as an aquastat mounted in a immersion well. But you can adjust the dial to open when you want.

Thanks Mike.

But any tips on actually how to attach it to the manifold? Just some clamps? Tape?

Clarkbug said:
Thanks Mike.

But any tips on actually how to attach it to the manifold? Just some clamps? Tape?

Tape, clamps, wire ties, baling wire would all work. Just got to keep it from falling off.

Make sure whatever you use won't melt/catch on fire!

Just pipe in a well.

Will

Wishing well.

A well is always the best mounting for a sensor. But plenty of sensors are installed as strap on also. A good thermal connection with some transfer grease, two small, stainless hose clamps to keep it from twisting, then a good wrap of insulation.

Be sure to use an insulation rated for the temperature. Fiberglass pipe insulation, 1" wall thickness if you can find a piece. Or the EPDM type pipe insulation, Armaflex for example. Stay away from the hardware store foam, regardless of what the label indicates :)

hr

Thanks for the tips all.

I would put in a well, but Im not about to ask for any more adds or changes from the guy I have putting it in, and Im not making any changes, since if it leaks, Im wanting him to come back and fix it.

I have some thermal paste that Ill dig up, and a stop at the supply house is in order for some insulation.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.