1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Arctic Blast coming to Northeast next week

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by corey21, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Heavy rain here expected to get 1-2 inches, so will know tomorrow how close the forecast was. Tapering off now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    We had the rain and some flooding, was 51 at 3pm now 27 and windy.
    Had one fire today let it go out 5 hrs ago, time to fire it up now
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Sunday we had light freezing rain,thin coat of ice in the morning,light rain in afternoon/evening,temps upper 30's.Started snowing late Tuesday night,by early morning Wednesday 4 to 8 inches on the ground (6.4" here).Temps upper 20's,slowly falling with 40MPH gusts & near zero visibility.Travel not advised in rural areas.

Right now its 4 degrees w/ -19 windchill.May hit 8 for the high today if we're lucky.-8 tommorow morning,gradually warming up for the weekend. Low-mid 30's expected then.
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    We got some strong gusting last night. Some big trees came down in town knocking out power to a few areas and also blocking the road that is my primary route to work. We heard a huge crash in the back yard around 6:30am and it turns out our giant white pine dropped a couple large branches (5-6"). Looks like about 2-3 stove loads once I cut it up.
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Holy $#*&#&^ Right now its absolutely pouring rain outside, coming down horizontally. More big branches coming down. It looks like TS Sandy conditions outside!
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

About the only good thing from the rain we received is it cleared most of the ice from our driveway, it also pushed the brook out over the banks, it should be worse tomorrow.

Starting to snow at the moment.

Attached Files:

7. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    31 outside with snow and wind right now. They are calling for 3 inches tonight.
  8. thewoodlands

Things are getting worse on the Brook, up above us they brought in an excavator by the S curve, they brought another excavator on our property by the Brook to remove ice.

Attached Files:

9. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    That looks like a mess, Stay safe.
  10. thewoodlands

Last time we had heavy,heavy rains it blew out 7 bridges in our town, two of the bridges the brook took out.
  11. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I just checked my area lake has rose 10 feet since yesterday evening that is a big rise for the lake here. It only has 6 feet to get to summer pool.
  12. thewoodlands

We need the water, just not all at once. Just spoke with the town supervisor, I told him if he needs to get back in the woods (to check the brook)just give me a call.

I think they might pull some ice out from the banks of the brook up on the S curves, by the bridge in the picture they have the excavator there just in case they need it.
  13. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    we had pouring rain with high winds, clear and sunny 60 degrees, then slightly overcast with bitter cold gust, and now its snowing...all in 1 day. is crazy times.
  14. thewoodlands

If they put a Cat on your property is it ours? ;) The town positioned two excavators in different locations (one on our property) in case they have some ice jams. The two bridges they put them by both were taken out in the fall of 2005 by heavy rains/beaver huts that came down through.

Pic 6746 is up the brook where some ice is pushed to the sides,6744 is across the road from our property that the ice is building up, 6743 is the Cat.

Attached Files:

15. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Sheesh. Last time I looked at the forecast there was a chance of flurries for this afternoon. I went out to pick up and stack some wood I had split. Flurries began and before I knew it, the quad, the wood and I were covered in a half inch of snow. Wind hasn't really let up since that nasty front blew through a couple days ago. Tonight it's supposed to go low double digits with gusts to 30 mph. Then, finally, some decent wood-gettin' weather for several days.
    Got a killer load in the stove, dropped the bypass and she has just taken wing... :)
    ScotO, zap and corey21 like this.
  16. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Looks like that clipper has got here.
  17. thewoodlands

With the rain stopping along with the colder weather the Brook has calmed down, still some ice build up on the other side of the road.

Attached Files:

ScotO and corey21 like this.
  18. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Got 4 inches of snow on the ground at my house from this last storm.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

Send that up hear, the snow we have is hard like cement or like Sav called it today, rock snow.
  20. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    It is still snowing lightly outside the last time i looked. The bad part is that my seasoned wood got covered out on my porch we have had blowing snow. Been fighting with damp wood with frozen water on it.
  21. thewoodlands

Do you have a tarp?
  22. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    No i just use an old pool cover to put over my stacks. Just did not cover the wood on the porch before this snow that was my bad...

I could use a week with no snow.
  23. thewoodlands

It should be fine if it was seasoned for a year, a few days inside before you burn it should do the trick. All our wood is stacked outside with the tops covered, it's never really been a problem if it's been seasoned a year, oak takes longer.
    corey21 likes this.
  24. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Yeah it does fine if it has been inside a few hours i can get to 650 stove top so it is just from the snow.
  25. thewoodlands

It looks like this next storm will hit the Eastern New England states pretty good if it comes together, they're calling for 6-12 in our area, I'm sure that will change.

From AccuWeather:
    When these two storms join forces, a fierce blizzard is expected to unfold across eastern New England from Portland to Boston to Providence.
    Blizzard conditions will develop in this corridor Friday afternoon, leading to a nightmare for the evening commute. The worst of the blizzard will then howl Friday night.

Attached Files: