Are all Harman pellet stoves good or are some better than others?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I faced a similar dilemma when I bought our XXV. Since we were installing the stove in a primary area of our home (living room), the look of the stove was a high priority for us and especially my wife. I could have gone with either one (XXV or P68) but when my wife looked at them both, no question we were getting the XXV. It sits prominently in our home and we both absolutely love it. Its something you will look at all year round so don't underestimate the look factor. The heat with our XXV is good. Our home is 3400 sq ft. and my downstairs furnace is off and it supplements nicely the upstairs furnace.
Cleaning hasn't been too big a deal although I don't have anything to compare it to. A lot of the cleaning really depends on the pellets I burn.
The XXV is deffinitly a nice looking stove....it did catch my eye also..
I really needed the 61,000btu's and with the silver plated trim package, it gives the stove a little class I think..
hey... we both have Harmans so we have the best as far as I'm concerned.....good luck with it.

Reactions: newbieinCT
After reading a bunch of reviews on here it seems like the harmon P 68 is the pellet stove to get

my question though is I really like the look of the XXV. is it as durable and as good as the P 68 in other words are they all the same on the inside.

I could also live with the acentra
In my opinion the P68 is a great stove. Easy to maintain, once a week give the pot a scrape, brush the insides and clean the glass. After burning one ton of pellets empty the ash pan. It does a great job heating my 2200 sq. ft home at a comfortable 72 degrees. At the end of the burning season plan on spending 2-3 hrs to clean the stove and spray it with WD40 in and out. Finally, place a dry block in the ash pan to absorb moisture. You won't be sorry you did this. Good Luck.

In my opinion the P68 is a great stove. Easy to maintain, once a week give the pot a scrape, brush the insides and clean the glass. After burning one ton of pellets empty the ash pan. It does a great job heating my 2200 sq. ft home at a comfortable 72 degrees. At the end of the burning season plan on spending 2-3 hrs to clean the stove and spray it with WD40 in and out. Finally, place a dry block in the ash pan to absorb moisture. You won't be sorry you did this. Good Luck.

1) WD40 as a cleaning agent?

2) Is that a dry block of concrete or wood?

Thanks

WD40 is a very thin oil. usually found as a spray. Excellent gun cleaner thou. Dry Block(brand name), chemical that absorbs moisture in a confined space.

WD40 is a very thin oil. usually found as a spray. Excellent gun cleaner thou. Dry Block(brand name), chemical that absorbs moisture in a confined space.
1) WD40 as a cleaning agent?

2) Is that a dry block of concrete or wood?

Thanks
After a good final Cleaning of our P61A,
I sprayed the burnpot, Inside the ashpan, and all the walls[upper and lower] with Pam cooking spray....I assume WD would do the same Protecting.
Bought a box of Damp Rid and Put the box in the Ash Pan for moisture absorbing thruout summer..
Also plugged up my OAK vent outside with a rag...doubt if any moisture will get in the stove with the AC on all the time but doesn't hurt to protect it..

we went into the Stove store and right away, without looking or asking about pellet stoves,Wife wanted the XXV because of the look...
I told her this is going to be few thousand dollars so let's not just buy one on looks alone. not a good idea sometimes and it doesn't tell the whole story..
well, long story short, we came home and I researched Harmans for a week or so..
narrowed it down to the P SERIES..... liked the HUGE ash pan, the higher BTU's, the dozens of posts about easier cleaning and somehow convinced the wife The P61A was the best choice..
. [ she said if I sprung for the brushed metal trim package, she would go with the P61A]

That's exactly what we went through in 2012. Same outcome right down to the brushed nickle trim. The P61a heats our entire house without help from the oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.