are you burning today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
madrone said:
What's the threshold? Indoor/outdoor temps?

For me, below 50 degrees outside is necessary. That's the minimum temp to light a fire or it gets too hot (even with a few windows open). I think that the end of October will be about right around here. I enjoy 80+ degrees inside in the Winter with a window cracked open. I think I would have to move to a colder climate to get the maximum enjoyment out of wood burning.

Dont fret JotulOwner soon enough the temps in NY will be cold enough. The cold will be here before you know it. Next thing you know is Halloween then we will all be here talking about how full of turkey we all are hipnitized by the fire of our stoves.

I burned my first fire of the year in my open fireplace for ambiance last night.
It was nice and warm in that room and the whole family including the dog enjoyed the warmth.

I really do not burn the stove unless it is below 40 degrees outside, otherwise I have to open windows or turn off the fan and that seems like just wasting wood. Those cold temps will be here before you know it and then it is 24/7.

Was 64 inside this morning at 9:30... had company visiting at noon so I was concerned they might be cold. Well.. perhaps my eagerness to burn overshadowed common sense given that it was about 60 outside with a high of 65 predicted.

Well... it was a SMALL fire - honest! Anyway - when my wife came in with our guests she looked at me and was like "why is it so hot in here?"... was 74 in the kitchen (adjacent to where stove is). Only good thing about it was that one of our guests did comment that she normally gets cold easily so perhaps I didn't do bad on the hospitality side and of course the stove did get some discussion right off the bat. Made me happy - probably annoyed the wife a bit more. Oh well. So 10 hrs later it's still over 75 in the kitchen - at least stove top has settled down slightly below 250 - upstairs is toasty too of course so nobody will complain about being cold at bedtime.

Guess I'll have to be a little more careful next time. Need to respect how much this thing can throw with a bucket of cut off ends and a couple splits, especially when the house isn't losing any heat to speak of through the walls. Once it is going not much I can really do but slow it down and open a window...

When the thermostat reads 60 I am about ready for the 1st fire. Bilevel house and the thermostat is upstairs so downstairs in the "man cave " where me & the stove hang out its usually 5 - 8 degrees cooler without the fire. Hence, once the fire game begins the temps are reversed in the house. Reversed meaning in mid Winter usually about 78 down stairs and 68 upstaris. Even cooler in upper far bedrooms, which we like having cooler anyway. Passed records show 1st burn in early October. Looks to be about the same this year too.

hard to get a good draft when theres only a foot of chimeny! hehehe

Had a fire last night and this morning--just some scrap wood and short ends. It was nice to have the Vista cruisin' again! Of course by about noon today, it got so hot in the living room that we had to open a couple of windows!

Not yet, though I did load the wood box on the porch. It's supposed to get snotty by tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.