Ashtrap - what a great product!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich M

Aug 22, 2006
NW Lower Michigan
I recently purchased an Ashtrap from the manufacturer http://theashtrap.com and thought I would share what a great product this is. It makes cleaning my insert so much easier I find myself no longer putting it off which translates to better burning performance and more room in the firebox (during 24/7 burning I was sorely neglecting proper ash removal). The best thing is no more dust from cleaning. No matter how careful I was with the shovel and pail I would inevetably overfill the shovel or bump it and send ash dust flying. The Ashtrap completely solves this problem, two quick jabs and I'm ready to rake the coals and stoke the fire.

I'm in no way affiliated with the company, just thought I would pass along my positive expierience. In our information age it has become commonplace to hear about poor products and service, I think it's equally important to sing praises when the credit is due.

And it's made in Canada to boot!

It handles the heat just fine, it's painted with high temp paint.

woooooooo ..............ah.............. Purdy ! that looks awesome , Love it .

And the ash trap didnt look bad either

I purchased one of the 12" models a couple weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks after ordering and the company didn't respond to my email inquiries. The product itself looks like about $5 worth of material, $5 worth of engineering, and $5 worth of marketing. If I give them another $5-$10 for profit, that would be about $25 which I would consider a decent price. Unfortunately, the price with shipping was about twice that. That said, the product works as advertised and I certainly couldn't fabricate this myself well enough to get a good fit to prevent leakage. It has solved the ash mess for me--especially the flying ash which got stirred up no matter how carefully and slowly I tried to scoop ash out of my insert (I have very low draft). I can empty a pretty good load of ash with 2 scoops. I like the product a lot, and has been mentioned, it makes it easier to dump the ash so there really isn't any good reason to avoid scooping it out every day if needed. The wife is very appreciative.

Actually, seeing the website, the first thing that came to my mind was... "I can make that" I haven't looked at the video or looked at it too much but it appears to be a simple metal dust pan with a sliding lid on it. I really don't think it's that difficult to make if you have the time and some creativity. Or simply using a dust pan and a flat lid could work too on cold ash...

I think I'll add that to the list of inexpensive DIY projects on my list of things to do.

I am currently investigating the use of pool noodles as pipe insulation (in replacement of the same polyethylene stuff you can buy at the stores. It's the same material, just the pool noodles are wider, and neon in color and don't come precut/preglued.

Jay

If you had a way to bend metal to fairly precise tolerances, yes you could probably do it. Otherwise it would leak ash which is the reason for the tool in the first place. This scoop is a "big boy" though. It has quite a bit of capacity. Granted, you could down size it--but then it would take more trips to empty the stove. Anyway, good luck--let us know how you come out with it.

Re the ash trap, anyone with a jotul stove use one? How would it work on a stove with an uneven bottom, like the Oslo, which has some bolts and other things protruding.

I've gotten into a good routine with my oslo. I empty it once a day, between reloads when it's all embers. Usually mornings or evenings. This keeps the ashes from overflowing which is essential to making this process easy.

1) Open side door and use a stove shovel to move all the ash through the grate and into the ash pan. With the ash now gone, push emebers off the grate so they won't spill down and close door.
2) I bought two large flat (no edges) disposable tinfoil baking pans at shaws. One goes under the ash pan door in case any spills out on the brick work when opening the door. Gently pull the ash pan from stove and rest it on the first tinfoil pan. The second tinfoil pan immediately goes on top of the ash pan. I have molded the edges so it's fits well. Close door.
3) Go outside and empty ash pan into metal can w/top.
4) Replace ash pan.
5) Done.

Senor, my Oslo ash-emptying routine is similar. I don't use a cover for the ash pan, just tip-toe out of the house carefully. The other minor difference is that I leave the side door cracked open while the ash door is open. This greatly reduces the blow-torch effect I get when just the ash door is cracked open. I agree it pays to empty the pan before it overflows, once you have to start raking spilled ash out of the lower section of the stove you really create lots of flying ash in the room.

I'm a DIY person too and it's the first thing I think of when I see something I need. I made my own coal keeper shovel and built my own coal rake, both easy projects that I made from things I had laying around. To make a fuctional copy of the Ashtrap I think you would need a pressbrake to get the precise fit that is required (otherwise it would leak), a shear to get straight cuts without distorting the metal and the sheet metal, high temp paint, handles (the rear handle is welded to a bracket for proper support) and fasteners. Someone with the right tools could certainly do it but it was beyond my ability.

I thought it was expensive too but it's a small operation (I think it's just one guy) and the quality is excellent so in retrospect I think it was worth it. Until some Chinese manufacturer rips off his idea and sells them for half the price he can charge what he needs to make a fair profit.

Nothing against a free market, the guy can charge whatever the market will bear.

My thought is that as a newbie wood stove owner, I'm simply using an aluminum shovel (open) and a nearby trashcan since I am not into 24/7 fires yet. So, anything has got to be more clean than my current method. :)

My first thing would be to find a good metal dustpan to modify as you might as well not start from scratch than needed. What I would do though instead of using a sliding door which, as mentioned here, would be hard to do without good metal tools, but a hinged door might work, so long as the door will clear the door on your wood stove. The sliding door would have the luxury of having more volume but a hinged door would be easily to make for the home DIY hack. (like me!)

Jay

I was kind of underwhelmed by the website. I'm not really set up to watch videos (they only recently released Flash 9-beta for Linux, and I haven't tried installing it yet...) and it wasn't real clear from the website how the thing should work until I found the assembly instruction pix. That aside, It looks like a reasonably decent product.

If I was trying to do a "home-brew" equivalent, I'd be inclined to start with one of those "silent butler" type dustpans you see in hotels and restaraunts, and modify the handle. Depending on the size of the loading door however, it might be a challenge to find something narrow enough.

My current technique is to clean the stove out about once a week or so, at a point where it is fairly well burned out. I just put my bucket as close to the door as I can get it (round bucket against a flat surface isn't a real good fit...)and shovel the ash into it, trying to leave as much of the coals in the stove as I can. I have a woodworkers dust mask that I wear to keep from inhaling to much of the ash. It's a bit messy, but it works... I then put the lid on my bucket and put it outside for a few days on a pile of bricks.

Gooserider

No coincidence there, I read that review prior to purchasing and found it to work as described in the article. Forgive me if I'm reiterating old news, just passing along my personal expierience. Again, no affiliation here, just a satisfied customer.

Good idea's about modifying one of those large stand up style dustpans, that would be a good approach particularly if you already have one. Not sure it would be cost effective if you had to purchase one to experiment on though. I did see an ash scoop with a hinged lid on ebay once but I didn't think you could close it while the scoop is in the stove which defeats the intent of containing the dust while still inside the stove.

Bringing an old thread to life.

This seems like it could be worth while.

It comes in 8 and 12 inch sizes. Which size would be best for a small insert?

Would the technique be to scoop the ash, close the door on the scoop, and open a door to put it in a trash can outside?
The scoop would have to be big enough so you only have to make one trip, right?
My current method is a shovel and covered metal can on the hearth, which creates dust but no more fewer trips to the great (and cold) outdoors.

Comments?

velvetfoot said:
It comes in 8 and 12 inch sizes. Which size would be best for a small insert?

Why not grab a tape measure, open your stove and try to envision using the two diff measurements?

Would the technique be to scoop the ash, close the door on the scoop, and open a door to put it in a trash can outside?

There is a video on how to use...

http://www.theashtrap.com/en/video

Re the trash can, you could get a steel one from ace like this...

http://trashcansunlimited.com/galvanized_trash_cans.html

Just make sure only ash goes in there. and you lock the lid on tight. Keep it away from the house and not in the garage, where you have gas cans, etc. If you're in a high wind area put a brick on the bottom. The six gallon version should take a couple weeks to fill if your burning 24x7.

Also, get a decent set of wood stove or welders gloves. ;)

I'm wondering about capacity.
Opening the door to the cold outside a couple more times a day to dump the scoop doesn't seem like a big improvement over a little dust.

I don't know if a ash vac would go over too well with the missus.

Jay H said:
Actually, seeing the website, the first thing that came to my mind was... "I can make that" I haven't looked at the video or looked at it too much but it appears to be a simple metal dust pan with a sliding lid on it. I really don't think it's that difficult to make if you have the time and some creativity. Or simply using a dust pan and a flat lid could work too on cold ash...

I think I'll add that to the list of inexpensive DIY projects on my list of things to do.

I am currently investigating the use of pool noodles as pipe insulation (in replacement of the same polyethylene stuff you can buy at the stores. It's the same material, just the pool noodles are wider, and neon in color and don't come precut/preglued.

Jay
Pool noodles DO NOT have as high as an R factor as Pipe wrap.

velvetfoot said:
I'm wondering about capacity.
Opening the door to the cold outside a couple more times a day to dump the scoop doesn't seem like a big improvement over a little dust.

I don't know if a ash vac would go over too well with the missus.

My wife can open and close the door 6 times just leaving for work in the morning. I don't think I'd be concerned with "cycling" the door a couple more times a day or how much heat escapes each time- only if the door was left open. Also, I can see where I could clean ash out of the stove sooner in the burn cycle without burning my hands or having the stove door open for 10 minutes while I shovel ashes into a bucket.

I'm really thinking about one of these for my upstairs stove, especially since we just redecorated the living room. The furnace has an ash pan which I dump into a metal pail. I made a lid for the pail that has a chute that I stick the pan into, keeps the dust in the bucket. Will try to remember to take pictures and post them.

I'm pretty sure I could make one of these, but for 40 bucks, I'm not going to waste time and materials trying.

I just ordered one up. The 8 inch model. I'll let you know how it works out.

Next step is to get with a local welder and have custom plug made up to replace cast iron grate.

I read this post last year when I first started burning and it looked interesting. The downsides I saw -

1. Needing to let the fire completely die out to remove ash. Once the burning season start, we burn 24*7 and rarely completely let the fire die out. The only way I could see this working is to go with the smallest unit and scoop out one side at a time after pushing coals aside, then repeating for other side.

2. Too frequent ash removal. Heaven forbid this worked and was fun. I nice thick layer of ash in the bottom of my insert always seems to give me a longer burn. Near the end of last winter I was able to go a good 3 weeks (burning 24*7) between ash removals.

3. Spillage. Watching that video it appears they want you to carry the trap out by that handle on the sliding lid. I guess I'd need to see how tight a fit that sliding lid has (which can't be too tight of it won't slide) but I envision that lid popping right of the top (like the lid on my metal bread box) while carrying the ash out and spilling ash (and bits of hot coal) everywhere.

But, I do wish there was a way to avoid the ash dust getting all over the living room. During the burn season last year we had find dusting of it on all hard surfaces near the stove, no matter how often we dusted.

I burn 24x7 too. I find that first thing in the AM, or around 4 PM are the ideal times to clean the stove. In the Am, after the overnight burn, I have mostly ash and some coals left. Easily separated with a wood stove shovel or a koal keeper ( koalkeeper.com ). Around 4 PM, the day burn is mostly dead, the sun is about to go down and has warmed the house up so we don't need a roaring fire at that moment. Anyhoot, that is another nice little lull to do my cleaning and prepare for the evening burn. I'll fill the stove up again, just before going to bed.

I must have a seriously undersized ash pan, because unless I clean every day, it will fill up.

I am a total neat freak and the dust drives me nuts too.

This is the routine I settled on after using the Ashtrap for a season.

During 24/7 burning, every 3 days or so (not every day) I rake the coals to the front (I don't let them go out first!) and take 2 jabs with the scoop in the middle and rear of the fire box, slide the lid shut while still in the stove, then carry it outside to the ash can and dump it. It's well built and no way will it spill or pop open when carrying. I bought the large one and recommend it for it's larger capacity. I'm not real anal about getting the fire box perfectly clean as the stove runs better with a small bed of ash anyway.

As I said when I started this thread - this thing makes ash removal a lot easier and cleaner, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I just thought I'd update this thread.

I thought I wouldn't like this the first time around and sold it.
The dust with the shovel and bucket method was still aggrevating me though.
So, I bought another (12") model.
I have to say that I like it and have integrated it into my routine.
The pan scoops up the ashes in the firebox and most all the dust goes up the chimney.
You have to be a little careful about settling the ashes in the pan and going slow on removal, but it's a lot better.
I let the ashes cool in the pan for a day or two and then put them into a plastic bag lined metal trash can.
The can is in the garage and it doesn't kick up that much dust, really.
So, I'd give it a thumbs up.

Now, that shovel with the holes in it didn't work too well for me-will update that thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.