Asian Long Horn Beetle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
Is anyone dealing with this little critter yet? I am thinking of planting 3 or 4 red maple trees in my back yard and have heard these guys like maple. I would hate to plant thees, only for them to be killed in a few years.

I hope they aren't as destructive as the EAB.

I don't think it is possible to predict the next tree-killing exotic plague that will hit. I haven't heard about Asian Longhorned Beetles spreading yet, and there could be another insect or disease that will come along and kill whatever tree you choose instead of the maples. I'd avoid Elms, Ash, American Chestnut, Eastern Hemlock, and Butternut.

Haven't seen one yet and I have a tone of maples of all types around me. I would hope we would be better prepared and proactive after eab, which seems to be the case in ohio.

There are so many bugs out there....
So many of our own long horned beetles.
Now this Asian guy is called the "starry night" beetle right? Or "starry skies?" Because of his spotted antennas? And body?
If theres a tree..theres a bug that can kill it.
I just pray that when the EAB gets done spreading its joy it doesnt switch to some other tree species.

Asian long-horned beetle (ALB) is bad bug, but definitely not a "little critter".
* https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/port.../sa_insects/sa_alb/ct_asian_longhorned_beetle
* http://www.agri.ohio.gov/topnews/asianbeetle/
It's difficult to detect an ALB infestation initially because infested trees appear healthy and asymptomatic for years. It doesn't kill trees quickly. Huge larvae (pencil diameter holes !) turns infested wood into "Swiss cheese" and physically reduces strength of wood.
Large list of potential host species, but maples a major forest component are hit hard. Fortunately it doesn't spread quickly so eradication attempts are possible; however, unfortunately eradication difficult, very costly, and emotionally charged - it requires preventive removal of host trees species, which typically removes all host tree species within a given radius of known ALB infested trees, with subsequent monitoring for years afterward. ALB eradication programs in Brooklyn NY, Chicago IL, and ongoing eradication in Worcester MA, and now just east of Cincinnati OH.

Voracious bugger not species specific like EAB

Status
Not open for further replies.