ATLANTIC 228

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaroot86

Dec 30, 2013
White Hall, Maryland
I have done some research on this model (by Portland foundry), but I am not able to find much. Seeing if anyone is running one, ever used one, serviced one, etc. I saw Woodman's has a few parts for it, but nothing overwhelming. I have a lead on one locally. The guy is asking $275 and it seems to be in decent shape. All the original hardware, legs, doors, etc. Other than dusting it off and giving it a good clean/paint, I don't think it needs anything. Is that a good price? The original advertisement states it has a fireplace feature, where you slide open the damper, and leave the doors open; to view the fire.
00e0e_cNE8IwXGosi_600x450.jpg

I am on the fence about a used Jotul 3TDIC-2, but it's more than double the price of the Atlantic. This would be a for a ~2000SF home. I prefer the rugged look of the cast iron Atlantic, but I do like the glass viewing of the Jotul; not to mention the build quality. Thanks
00w0w_aK2CGFuEXnt_600x450.jpg

If the intent is to heat the whole house, neither of these stoves is a good solution. You would be far better off to get a new clean burning stove large enough to do the job. Take a look at the Englander 30NC sold at HomeDepot (also sold under the SummersHeat brand at Lowes). You'll need fully seasoned wood to get a good burn out of a modern stove but the result will be pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.