Avalon Astoria Door Air Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I have an Avalon Astoria and have been running it for several years now. We go through about 6-7 tons a year so I would say we are heavy users. Last year I over tightened my door and the gasket is now crushed. I am noticing a little decrease in the quality of the burn. I did the dollar check and the door seems tight all around now but I know the gasket is pressed. It seems to be burning OK but Should I get a new gasket before it gets worse?

Also, I can see some wear in the gasket in the glass. I don't know if it is leaking there but I know the gasket is starting to fray. Generally, I clean the stove every day and follow the recommended maintenance directions. I use a vacuum now but have cleaned the glass daily since I got it and fear that the cleaning may have worn that glass gasket.

In short, how do I know when to change the gasket on the door and on the glass? The stove is burning well but not like new. The glass will get a little auburn after 60-80 lbs over 24 hours.

How many years is several? Bought when you signed up - 2009? Sounds like it may be a good idea to change them.... For your own peace of mind, go for it.

PS - sorry you got missed in the shuffle...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.