Avalon stove w/ pipe kit.....should I buy this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
A buddy of mine has a Avalon pellet stove with a pipe wall kit...not sure of the stove model or year...he is asking $700.00 for it all...would this be a good deal...????....I'm just wondering about the Avalon stoves...any issues I should look out for....any models should I avoid...I'm going to look at it later today....will check back later..

Avalon makes a good stove. I'm sure that in a way imacman is sorry he no longer has the Astoria he was burning,

Ask Don2222 what he thinks of his.

Went to look at the stove...looks rough...any info on this would be nice...not sure of the year either...

Attachments

• Avalon stove w/ pipe kit.....should I buy this
    1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 506
    11.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 440
    111.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 450
    1111.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 415
    11111.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 403
Not a good deal. These were decent heaters, but a pain to use and clean. Model has not been made since the 90's or so. Tag on back says this one is 1991.

It sure looks like its age, I believe it's an Avalon 900 Freestanding Stove, as for it being something to buy, it would depend upon who was buying it, their intended use, and what the owner wants for it.

Several places have the manuals for it, the electronics are not exactly what a lot of folks are used to these days.

SmokeyTheBear said:
It sure looks like its age, I believe it's an Avalon 900 Freestanding Stove, as for it being something to buy, it would depend upon who was buying it, their intended use, and what the owner wants for it.

Several places have the manuals for it, the electronics are not exactly what a lot of folks are used to these days.

Hello

That is correct Smokey it is the Avalon 900PS stove made in the early 90s !!

Travis Ind who makes Lopi and Avalon make a good reliable pellet stove however $700 for such an old stove is not such a good deal.
The condition looks very ruff too! See better pic below. I purchase used stoves and that is worth about $400 tops if you were to buy it. However I have found that stoves that old do not have the best auger timing and other improvements such as auto ignite.

I own the Avalon Astoria. It is a good heater that heats my whole house for 3 years so far with no problems.

Attachments

Avalon900PelletStove.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 361
To sum up offer something between $70.00 and $400.00, change the controllers timing blocks to something more stable and use it to heat Don2222's stove repair shed.

I had one of these suckers back in the mid 90's and it worked OK but was a royal PITA to clean the ash traps and did not heat really well either.

Overall, not a bad stove but with the issues it had it's not worth $700, not even.

I paid $200 for a Whitfield advantage and the whit will heat circles around the Avalon and is a snap to clean.

Just some thoughts

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
I had one of these suckers back in the mid 90's and it worked OK but was a royal PITA to clean the ash traps and did not heat really well either.

Overall, not a bad stove but with the issues it had it's not worth $700, not even.

I paid $200 for a Whitfield advantage and the whit will heat circles around the Avalon and is a snap to clean.

Just some thoughts

Snowy

And now that you have been introduced to the leaf blower method, would those traps be as hard to get cleaned?

SmokeyTheBear said:
To sum up offer something between $70.00 and $400.00, change the controllers timing blocks to something more stable and use it to heat Don2222's stove repair shed.

Any wood pellet stove would be cheaper than what I am paying right now for Kerosene to heat the shed!! LOL

See Pic below!!

Attachments

KeroseneAtThePumpsSC.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 298
Is the shed your living space..I would lock the door on my shed to heat it for that price...

Is the shed your living space..I would lock the door on my shed to heat it for that price...

shed 2 (shd)
n.
1. A small structure, either freestanding or attached to a larger structure, serving for storage or shelter.
2. A large low structure often open on all sides.

shed 1 (shd)
n.

1. A structure of dubious build where Don's wife banished him and his ash spewing stoves.

SmokeyTheBear said:
shed 1 (shd)
n.

1. A structure of dubious build where Don's wife banished him and his ash spewing stoves.

I would not say that, but I just got the alarm wires on the door and window today, already put in the cable TV feed and electricity. The landline phone/intercom to the main house I got working a couple days ago. :)

Don2222 said:
That is correct Smokey it is the Avalon 900PS stove made in the early 90s !!

Travis Ind who makes Lopi and Avalon make a good reliable pellet stove however $700 for such an old stove is not such a good deal......

Agreed. Travis makes good stoves, but that price is way high for a 20+ yr. old stove.

You'd be way better off w/ a refurbed Englander for around $800-1000.

Thanks of all the messages...I sent him some of the info that was posted here...I hope he's not offeneded...but he does want WAY to much for it...I would buy it for $100.00 maybe...he also told me that the control was messed up...only burns on low..??...I'm looking for one to warm my basement up..

bigruckus said:
Thanks of all the messages...I sent him some of the info that was posted here...I hope he's not offeneded...but he does want WAY to much for it...I would buy it for $100.00 maybe...he also told me that the control was messed up...only burns on low..??...I'm looking for one to warm my basement up..

You would be doing him a favor by hauling the stove away for him.

Checkthisout said:
bigruckus said:

You would be doing him a favor by hauling the stove away for him.

Ha..Ha...he's always trying to make a buck...his yard is full of stuff...got thinking this stove is 20 years old...wondering when did the pellets stoves hit the market..???

Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
shed 1 (shd)
n.

I would not say that, but I just got the alarm wires on the door and window today, already put in the cable TV feed and electricity. The landline phone/intercom to the main house I got working a couple days ago. :)

Don't forget the power line network adapter

smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
shed 1 (shd)
n.

Don't forget the power line network adapter

Thanks Scott.
The WiFi works great in there so not sure If I need that, but I am glad to know it is there if I need a hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.