Back draft when real windy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
I have an Osburn 2300 and when it is real windy I get draft back and smoke comes out the back of stove and fills house with smoke. No way to stop smoke from flooding house. I had to pull logs out of stove and take outside to stop fire and back draft.
Last year I had this problem a few times so I added more pipe length and a wind beater cap. It seemed to fix the problem until last night I had really high winds. I do not understand why I can not just close everything on stove and stop smoke from coming in. Is this a malfunction of stove?Normally with normal winds no problem with draft. Damper open or closed does not matter. Fire blazon does not matter.
Any advice is welcome.
I was thinking of putting a damper in my pipe to at least close if back draft is happening.
Joe

Sound like the wind is hitting something close to your house causing it to ramp up and take a nose dive into the chimney, does this always happen when the wind is out of a certain direction?

I had this same issue in my last house. The neighbor's house created a downdraft certain times of year. I put on a draftmaster chimney cap from chimneycapdesign.com and it fixed the problem. This cap has no moving parts and creates an upward draft when wind blows across it. It works great.

http://chimneycapdesign.com/

It is not a malfunction of the stove. With the new stove there is no way to completely close the primary air. There is always a small gap - and the secondary air has NO adjustment so it is a preset volume that you have no control over.

It is not a malfunction of the stove. With the new stove there is no way to completely close the primary air. There is always a small gap - and the secondary air has NO adjustment so it is a preset volume that you have no control over.
I

It drafts great when not windy. The wind seems to always come In same direction but only back draft when real windy like right now. I have a 9/12 roof pitch. It sounds like it is hitting part of house and creating nose dive draft. I am in woods with no houses around. I bought a wind beater cap is this different than a draft master?

Status
Not open for further replies.