Lack of draft causing leaking smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nakinto

Sep 24, 2023
Idaho
I have a different then normal setup. Went out the window instead of the roof. There is a 5.2 degree down angle to the pipe here so rain stays outside. Smoke is leaking out of the damper. I had it running at 600 for 45 minutes and still had no change in draft.

The damper sleeve goes about an inch below the inside roof of the stove.

I have not finished the stove piping outside, it is just sitting open at this time.

Almost forgot, this picture was taken as she was cooling off.

Ps I just installed this and honestly have near no idea what I am doing. I thought "get it hot enough and the draft would take care of the smoke." Maybe the down angle on the pipe is messing that up? Maybe the insert going so far into the stove is messing it up? Maybe I just need to finish putting the outside pipe together? Any thoughts before I smoke myself out! Lol

16955690958089209687801508270768.jpg 16955691417238213109086379655928.jpg

I have a different then normal setup. Went out the window instead of the roof. There is a 5.2 degree down angle to the pipe here so rain stays outside. Smoke is leaking out of the damper. I had it running at 600 for 45 minutes and still had no change in draft.

The damper sleeve goes about an inch below the inside roof of the stove.

I have not finished the stove piping outside, it is just sitting open at this time.

Ps I just installed this and honestly have near no idea what I am doing. I thought "get it hot enough and the draft would take care of the smoke." Maybe the down angle on the pipe is messing that up? Maybe the insert going so far into the stove is messing it up? Maybe I just need to finish putting the outside pipe together? Any thoughts before I smoke myself out! Lol

View attachment 315746 View attachment 315747
Ok

1. You can't use galvanized pipe on woodstoves.
2. Your wall pass through is unsafe.
3. You will have no draft without a chimney outside.
4. Your pipe can't angle down.
5. Are you using chimney pipe outside or just stove pipe?

Reactions: HuskyMakk
It's pretty obvious you have no idea what your doing, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Hopefully you don't burn your house down. It's not the most difficult thing to do but you should educate yourself on the proper way of doing it before you kill yourself or some loved ones while your house burns down.

Kborndale. If no one ever did anything they didn't know, we would never have made fire. I came here to "educate myself on the proper way of doing it" Hence my questions. I have since finished my install and burned wood in the stove throughout the day and night with no smoke coming inside, the biggest problem was the lack of height on my flue.

Ok

1. You can't use galvanized pipe on woodstoves.
2. Your wall pass through is unsafe.
3. You will have no draft without a chimney outside.
4. Your pipe can't angle down.
5. Are you using chimney pipe outside or just stove pipe?
Bholler Thank you for the information. Now, not trying to argue, trying genuinely to understand.

1. None of this is galvanized, did something in a picture look galvanized to you?
2. What is unsafe about the wall passthrough? It has a triple wall with mineral wool between each of two walls. The plywood doesn't even get to room temperature.
3. You are 100% correct on this point, I didn't know I needed that sticking above the roof to have a draft, Thank you, this issue was resolved and the stove is working great now.
4. Why can't pipe angle down a few degrees? When I say a few degrees I mean only 1.7 degrees. I have since made it angle up 1 degree with a sleeve outside and some high temp sealant (1200 degrees) so the rain won't get inside.
5. I am using what the stove place in town calls "flue pipe for wood or pellet stoves" It appears to be stainless steel, but I am not an expert, I could ask what it is made of.

1. The shiny stuff looks like galvanized to me especially the one coming off the stove that is white already

2. The wall pass through doesn't look like any listed pass through I have ever seen for wood it looks more like one for gas.

3. Yes the chimney is what creates draft, you didn't have one so no draft

4. Down a little may work but it's not right besides you want any condensation to run back into the stove not outside.

5. Can you show us a picture of the chimney pipe outside? Is it multi layer?

That's definitely galvanized pipe at the flue collar. It's why it has turned chalky white. This is not a good sign and why it's not permitted for stove pipe. The long horizontal run also looks like galvanized duct pipe.

Welcome to the forum. Hang around and you will learn quite a lot. With my first stoves I didn’t understand some important things and had some risky intallations. I was lucky. Information was not so easy to access back then and unsafe setups more common from what I saw especially if you didn’t have good resources. House fires were more common too I think. I suspect thatgalvanized pipes are not allowed for health reasons. I know when torch cutting galvanized steel toxic fumes are given off. Maybe other reasons as well. Get educated on what you need for a safe set up. Jumping in and learning as you go is great for many things. The worst consequences for a mistake in plumbing your hot and cold water can be bad but fixable, not so much with a wood stove.

Reactions: Nakinto
What did they use in the 1700 - 1800s? I know rock chimney was the most commom. but Im sure there were pipes too. My Father inlaw said his dad ran pipe thru the wall inside a terra cotta pipe. Probabaly not real safe, but he lived to be 81. My setup isnt pristine, but Im on year 3, no problems. I clean my flue every month too.

What did they use in the 1700 - 1800s? I know rock chimney was the most commom. but Im sure there were pipes too. My Father inlaw said his dad ran pipe thru the wall inside a terra cotta pipe. Probabaly not real safe, but he lived to be 81. My setup isnt pristine, but Im on year 3, no problems. I clean my flue every month too.
1700s was pretty much just fireplaces through masonry. And yes they had lots of house fires. Later in the 1800s stoves became popular and then yes they used pipe. And yes they had lots of house fires.

Burning Galvanised can kill you with the fumes. Get rid of that indoor pipe ASAP.

Reactions: Hoytman
Kborndale. If no one ever did anything they didn't know, we would never have made fire. I came here to "educate myself on the proper way of doing it" Hence my questions. I have since finished my install and burned wood in the stove throughout the day and night with no smoke coming inside, the biggest problem was the lack of height on my flue.

Doesn't make it safe.

Burning Galvanised can kill you with the fumes. Get rid of that indoor pipe ASAP.
It is NOT galvanized. NO galvanized on ANY of my stove flue pipes. I checked "22 gauge cold rolled steal." And instructions state the product will rust if not treated properly outdoors. I contacted the manufacturer "we do not use any galvanizing material on any of our products because galvanized steel is a health risk."

1. The shiny stuff looks like galvanized to me especially the one coming off the stove that is white already

2. The wall pass through doesn't look like any listed pass through I have ever seen for wood it looks more like one for gas.

3. Yes the chimney is what creates draft, you didn't have one so no draft

4. Down a little may work but it's not right besides you want any condensation to run back into the stove not outside.

5. Can you show us a picture of the chimney pipe outside? Is it multi layer?
2. This one is "wood, gas or pellet"
4. Makes sense, anyway it is angled up now regardless.
5. Attached is a picture of the outside chimney pipe. I don't know what you mean by "multi layer" These are not double walled or anything. There are multiple pieces for the piping though.

I will probably use double wall later if I can find anything that fits in my stove.
PS, this is a tent stove if that changes anything (besides a higher fire risk.)
I wish 5" pipe was more available at least in my area.

20231021_101916.jpg

Got it, my bad.

Didn’t see your last post before I posted. Don’t know what more to say there.

Last edited:
2. This one is "wood, gas or pellet"
4. Makes sense, anyway it is angled up now regardless.
5. Attached is a picture of the outside chimney pipe. I don't know what you mean by "multi layer" These are not double walled or anything. There are multiple pieces for the piping though.

I will probably use double wall later if I can find anything that fits in my stove.
PS, this is a tent stove if that changes anything (besides a higher fire risk.)
I wish 5" pipe was more available at least in my area.

View attachment 317121
Just run it on 6" and you need proper insulated chimney that looks like just single wall galvanized pipe

:rolleyes: It would have helped to note from the beginning that this is setup in an RV. Single-wall galvanized is neither safe nor proper. Nor is the pass-through on plywood. That should be metal at least. I hope the stove is at least bolted down. The stove clearances should be 36" or 12" with proper, ventilated wall shielding. A wad of insulation doesn't make it safe.

:rolleyes: It would have helped to note from the beginning that this is setup in an RV. Single-wall galvanized is neither safe nor proper. Nor is the pass-through on plywood. That should be metal at least. I hope the stove is at least bolted down. The stove clearances should be 36" or 12" with proper, ventilated wall shielding. A wad of insulation doesn't make it safe.
Why would the stove need to be bolted down? There is air between the pipe and first layer of the passthrough, insulation between layer 1 and 2 and another inch of air between layer 2 and the plywood.

Why would the stove need to be bolted down? There is air between the pipe and first layer of the passthrough, insulation between layer 1 and 2 and another inch of air between layer 2 and the plywood.
Because it's required to be bolted down. What was the pass trough listed for? How close is the pipe to combustibles? How close is the stove to combustibles?

Why bolted down? Mobile home- the stove may move around.

My set up is far from ideal, but worked for 3 years so far. No opinion on this, sorry.

This is why we have a permit process in my state. To keep the occupants safe.

This is why we have a permit process in my state. To keep the occupants safe.
Even.with permit requirements many people will still just ignore them. Every state has code requirements to follow