Back Online

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Woohoo, internet returned today. 4 days no phone, 7 days without the grid and 9 days without internet has set a new record for us. It's nice to get back to normal and not to have to head to the library for internet and work. I think I have scoped out all the local wireless nodes by now. We're sure glad the power is back before Christmas. The crews are pushing hard to have the entire region back by tonight or tomorrow am at the latest. My hat's off to them. They have put in a monumental amount of hours restoring infrastructure.

We were much better off than many. Our candle and lantern stock was good and we had a generator to keep refrigeration going, but sure missed hot water.
The Jotul went through about 28 cu ft of wood and kept us comfy. We always had a warm 200 deg stove to resurrect in the morning with plenty of coals. Actually sometimes, towards the end of the day, there were too many coals. The bed was so deep that it would spill out the front if you weren't careful. This isn't really the stoves fault, but it points out an interesting thing we are learning about the new stove location. We are having to run it hot to keep the downstairs at about 68-70 because so much heat is heading upstairs now. This is kind of the opposite problem that a lot of people complain about. The stove is putting out the btus, but a lot more of them are heading upstairs than earlier, prior to the remodel.

Before when it was at the end of the house, in the kitchen annex, most of the heat stayed at the first floor level. Even with our open floorplan, there were a couple lower openings between rooms where enclosed support beams slowed the circulation of hot air. This setup kept about a 5 degree difference between downstairs and upstairs. In the new stove location the warm air has a much shorter path to upstairs with no ceiling blocks. We have a large open stairwell to upstairs. The result is that the upstairs is now the same temp as the living room due to a robust thermal loop. Upstairs, I measured 69 at 5 ft. and 65 on the 2nd from the top stair tread. I like it better to have it a little cooler upstairs and will experiment with some temporary ceiling blocks to see if I can reduce the upstairs flow of warmth.

We are really glad to get back to the world of the wired. Electricity is a wonderful thing. I hope you all have a great holiday season and a wonderful New Year!

Thanks, how's the install coming along WM?

Hearth built (see hearth building 101 somewhere in the hearth room), received the chimney flashing I needed yesterday, finishing up the drywall behind the stove, deleted and filled in an old cable box, moved the thermostat into the hallway. Build OAK adapter for the stove.

I probably would be done on Sunday, but I don't think I can get anyone to help me move the stove on the hearth until after xmas... so maybe wednesday or thursday, arrgh!

-Kevin

Glad to see you're up and running again. Sure would be nice to go 4 days without a phone though.

pistonslap said:
Glad to see you're up and running again. Sure would be nice to go 4 days without a phone though.

This was a non-issue for me, but was probably one of the most stressful things for my wife.

Good to see ya BG!
Your little storm dropped about 40" on top of me, we fared better with power and what not. Glad all is well!!

40" of snow would have set me back another week or more. I have to admire that you folks keep running under those conditions.

Thanks for the welcomes all. I feel the warmth of the hearth all over again.

Glad to hear you made it through without the loss of food and wits! I'm also happy for you that you got the grid back just in time for XMAS, welcome back BG, and glad you came out of that storm with minimal damage, Happy Holidays!

Welcome back, BG, it's nice to see you posting again. It sounds like you were well prepared for the blackout. I'll bet fondness for the F400 increased substantially during this period!

Are you near Poulsbo Wa? I been thinking about getting a 35'er and doing some fishing
there in a few years.

Welcome back BG. How did your neighbors without wood heat make out?

BeGreen said:
pistonslap said:

This was a non-issue for me, but was probably one of the most stressful things for my wife.

That's why I keep my old Princess phone around. Unless the phone lines themselves are out, you can still have a phone with no power.

We've had power out twice this past week--once from 6pm-2am and then a planned outage and low voltage that next morning. Makes you look around the house to see all the things that are worthless without electricity and have alot of respect for the generations before electricity. I sure got bored after awhile with no internet.

My oil lamps gave us some light but not enough for me to read comfortably.

Is your generator configured to power your house or did you just run a cord to the freezer, etc? How about water? When we lose power now, we lose water because of our pressure system (private well). In the old days, we had gravity feed and had water with no power, as long as the big tank on the hill above us was full.

CountryGal said:
BeGreen said:
pistonslap said:

That's why I keep my old Princess phone around. Unless the phone lines themselves are out, you can still have a phone with no power.

We've had power out twice this past week--once from 6pm-2am and then a planned outage and low voltage that next morning. Makes you look around the house to see all the things that are worthless without electricity and have alot of respect for the generations before electricity. I sure got bored after awhile with no internet.

My oil lamps gave us some light but not enough for me to read comfortably.

Is your generator configured to power your house or did you just run a cord to the freezer, etc? How about water? When we lose power now, we lose water because of our pressure system (private well). In the old days, we had gravity feed and had water with no power, as long as the big tank on the hill above us was full.

We have a corded, non-electronic phone, but this time there was no phone service at all. I finally went to the library and emailed the phone company. We had sevice the next day. I think they forgot our neighborhood.

We use some cool emergency 100 hr oil lamps for general lighting in bathrooms, etc. Candles are where we can watch them and task & reading lighting was provided by two Coleman lanterns, one white gas and one propane.

The 4.8kw generator powers the whole house, but none of the 240v loads. I also ran 200ft. of extension cord to our neighbor's for 120v to their freezer. We're rethinking the process now. I suspect we will go to a 7kw propane generator. We only had 5 gal of fresh gas on hand when the storm hit. That's good for about 8 hrs running. Power was out at the gas stations for about 36 hrs, so we had to really be careful until we could get more gas. That was a little frustrating considering we still have a huge propane tank that was 30% full.

Our water comes from a community system. There is a huge tank up the hill that still had plenty reserves after a week of no pump. When there is a power outage, everyone stops washing clothes, dishwashers don't run, and there's no hot water for showers, so consumption really drops.

I'm looking at the whole process now. Considering lots of options. As mentioned, a larger, quieter generator on fuel that stays fresh, is one. Also thinking about a large scale UPS system, permanent propane lighting, etc. For now, we're just restocking our reserves, though right now, I can't find a can of white gas within 50 miles.

Todd said:
Welcome back BG. How did your neighbors without wood heat make out?

I walked around and found that almost all of our neighbors have wood heat. I got to see PE, Lopis, Avalons and Hearthstones in action. And many others have generators. If you knew someone that didn't, they would get invited over. We took showers at neighbors and the local athletic club opened up it's showers to all once they had power. If trees were blocking the road, a gaggle of chainsaws would appear and a passage was made to let cars and emergency vehicles get through. This is the beauty of a small community. We all just pitched in.

homefire said:
Are you near Poulsbo Wa? I been thinking about getting a 35’er and doing some fishing
there in a few years.

Ya sure, ya betcha. It's about 40 miles north of us.

It's nice to see the neighbors helping each other. I have had a cultural awakening after moving up to the desert outside a tiny town and living on dirt roads.

The first time we had a flash flood (El Nino-1997 I think) that made our usually dry wash run like a river and wash out our road was a nightmare! We had a 4-5' trench through the only road to town (about 2 miles from the house--so you didn't know until you were there) and it isn't county maintained. We had to get together and hire a dozer to fix it before anyone could get out of here. People were getting stuck in the mud to their axles. Life in Hooterville!

We have a gas generator we take camping with our horse trailer to run the living quarters when we are dry camped but haven't brought it up to the house to try and run anything. If we were out more I would look into having a big one to power the house and have it done by an electrician so it would be legal and not fry some poor Edison employee. Problem is, our well is 1/4 mile at the end of our road and has its own meter and the house is on a separate one. We could take one down there and run it long enough to shower and do dishes and fill water jugs but I wouldn't leave a generator down there as it probably would be stolen. We have a neighbor who helps himself to things he thinks you 'don't want'.

Sure makes you appreciate our ancestors and all the work they had to do just to live day-by-day before electricity. It isn't nearly as romantic as it sounds. If you haven't watched that PBS series "Frontier House" it is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.