Backflow into the storage - Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eriesigtau

Jun 15, 2010
Titusville, PA
Guys/Gals,

I just got my gasser fired up and have a small problem with backflow. My storage is in parallel. When th house calls for heat and the boiler temp is above 125, the house gets heat directly from the boiler. If that temp falls below 125, then the tank will heat the house. The tank charges when there is no call for heat from the house. Heres what is happening... When the house is calling for heat and the boiler temp is above 125, the heat is circulating through the house but it is also flowing back through the tank return pipe from the manafold and still charging the tank even though the tank circulator is not on. If I turn of the tank return valve it works fine so I don't think its an airlock problem. Does anyone know how to prevent this???

Do you have a flow control valve on the storage supply or return ? You can also use a flow check circ.

the circ that feeds the storage has a flow check built into it. The water is flowing from the boiler to the manafold like its supposed to but some of the return water is going to the boiler through the return and some is flowing through the tank return, then through the tank, and back to the boiler. Every check valve in the system is built into the grudfos 15-58 circs and are all on the supply side.

Status
Not open for further replies.