Bad day of burnin.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
I need some moral support....I was not in the mood to load in the afternoon, which was unusual. I loaded as I usually do but the
f&%$#@# thing would not start up well. I usually don't have to keep the door cracked very long but today, I did. I don't know what I did wrong, if anything. I got very ticked off, I am sure all burners know how I feel especially being a newbie. My husband says I want IG (instant gratification) all the time but sometimes with burning it takes a little more effort. I am not patient sometimes, I will admit. I think maybe some pieces of wood with a little more moisture....I don't know. It's not like it's warm out, it's freakin cold!!! I got the temp up now 400 flue, 650 stovetop so I am good now but a little disgusted with myself. Any other burners out there have those bad burnin days???? Do tell............make me feel better. Having a dogfish head beer now.........

Yah, I'm down to the crappiest of my wood. It doesn't take much for me to get antsy and ruin a perfectly fine small, hot fire by putting a couple of splits on that smother it to death.

Those are the times I say, "What are you doin' girl?"

Welcome to the club. I feel your pain.

Nancy

It happens to everybody. Well, except for Backwoods Savage. :lol:

The favorite time for it to happen is when you have waited till the last minute to load up for the night. And end up getting to watch a Leno re-run.

Nope, every fire starts and burns perfectly, not sure what you are talking about.

BrotherBart said:
It happens to everybody. Well, except for Backwoods Savage. :lol:

The favorite time for it to happen is when you have waited till the last minute to load up for the night. And end up getting to watch a Leno re-run.

I really hate those nights...

Well sixman cheers to you. You are my hero then. My next dogfish head will be to you.......

PS-- or, you do what I just did, which was to toss an Eco Brick (aka Hamburger Helper) into the back of the firebox and cover it with a couple of splits. Whee, it's off to the races!

GAMMA RAY said:
Well sixman cheers to you. You are my hero then. My next dogfish head will be to you.......

ya but, just how many fires do you really need in texas?? not like its a 24-7 deal, ya know? we start in sep or oct and go straight through till end of apr/begining of may. then get to clean up the scrap in woodpile area!

gamma-whats the dog-fish head thing all about??

We don't get much snow down this way but were fortunate to get a couple of days worth last week and some this week. My wood pile is not covered except for what I keep on the porch and needless to say my wood is a wee bit wet. It is amazing how hard it is to get good heat out of wet wood. It is like I am burning in a different stove this week and it has pretty much been below freezing since the snow so I am sure this will go on for a while till my wood dries out some. I have not let the stove go out for quite some time and can only imagine how hard it is going to be to get it fired back up if I let it go out. My summer plans include building a wood storage shed.

yooperdave said:
GAMMA RAY said:

ya but, just how many fires do you really need in texas?? not like its a 24-7 deal, ya know? we start in sep or oct and go straight through till end of apr/begining of may. then get to clean up the scrap in woodpile area!

And it is uphill to the woodpile. Both ways.

It has not been above freezing in what seems like 2 weeks with most nights in the low teen to single digits, to me that is damn cold. However it is supposed to be in the 60's this weekend even though tonights forcast is 12 degrees!

Dogfish head is a beer that I enjoy very much. I drink the Raison D'Etre, its a deep mahogany ale that is 8 % alcohol per bottle so a couple will do ya just fine...........and 40 bucks a case..............

About half an inch of rain that turned to ice topped with half an inch of sleet topped off with a couple inches of snow. Stayed below 20 for about three days straight which shut down the schools all around the area. No snow plows or salt to melt it so all the roads were like a rough hockey rink. I saw and interview with a Packer fan that said he had lived up north all his life and he had never seen roads this bad. He said "What do yall have, like one snow plow for the whole state?"

I am just looking forward to a couple months from now.....being in the caribbean for 10 days soakin up the sun.....................

ya but, just how many fires do you really need in texas?? not like its a 24-7 deal, ya know? we start in sep or oct and go straight through till end of apr/begining of may[/quote]

Not sure about Texas but here in sunny Florida my stove has only been cold four nights since the middle of November :coolsmirk:

sixman said:
About half an inch of rain that turned to ice topped with half an inch of sleet topped off with a couple inches of snow. Stayed below 20 for about three days straight which shut down the schools all around the area. No snow plows or salt to melt it so all the roads were like a rough hockey rink. I saw and interview with a Packer fan that said he had lived up north all his life and he had never seen roads this bad. He said "What do yall have, like one snow plow for the whole state?"

Invite yooperdave down for a picnic. In July. :coolsmirk:

Sixman, I did see on the world news that Texas was gettin slammed with bad weather. Ok guys cut him a brake....

Yeah my family lives up in N. Central Texas near the OK border. They have been in the deep freeze for a while now. One of my in-laws from there now gets to go to S. Dakota next week for training. Outdoors. He ain't a happy camper.

BrotherBart when we have our Army reunions here in August it is hard to get our buddies that live up north to get out of the airconditioned house. They say it is too hot! Those that brave the weather for some fun on the lake are usually laid up with severe sun burn for the rest of the visit. Texas, it's a whole nother country.

sixman said:
Texas, it's a whole nother country.

Yep, and please quit exporting that noxious weed "Mesquite" and calling it a smoking wood. :coolsmirk:

Jags I will trade you some mequite for some hickory!!!!

sixman said:
Jags I will trade you some mequite for some hickory!!!!

No way! That stuff should be burned up in a wood stove. I did a scientific study that proved that mesquite smoke tastes exactly like licking the inside of a creosote infested stove pipe.

It must be an aquired taste. I do prefer hickory over mequite in when I make jerky.

Status
Not open for further replies.