Bad day of burnin.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
sixman said:
Jags I will trade you some mequite for some hickory!!!!

No way! That stuff should be burned up in a wood stove. I did a scientific study that proved that mesquite smoke tastes exactly like licking the inside of a creosote infested stove pipe.

Scientific study my avatar :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
I need some moral support....I was not in the mood to load in the afternoon, which was unusual. I loaded as I usually do but the
f&%$#@# thing would not start up well. I usually don't have to keep the door cracked very long but today, I did. I don't know what I did wrong, if anything. I got very ticked off, I am sure all burners know how I feel especially being a newbie. My husband says I want IG (instant gratification) all the time but sometimes with burning it takes a little more effort. I am not patient sometimes, I will admit. I think maybe some pieces of wood with a little more moisture....I don't know. It's not like it's warm out, it's freakin cold!!! I got the temp up now 400 flue, 650 stovetop so I am good now but a little disgusted with myself. Any other burners out there have those bad burnin days???? Do tell............make me feel better. Having a dogfish head beer now.........
i feel ya. happens to all of us. mine was actually this morning beforei had to be into work at 630 am. cold out last night so left burning hotter than normal and didnt have quite as big as coal bed as i would have liked so took an extra 10 min. to get where i wanted it to be. like bb sad its always when ya dont want it to take long. just came home now after a 12 hour day and pleny of coals and lit rite up.

I feel your pain, GAMMA.
I started getting into some stuff in the back of the shed that's not quite dry. Had to go back to the other side of the shed and pull from the front. Weird.
My bad day burnin' actually started REAL early this morning when I didn't get up at 4:30 to reload the stove. It was about -4 out, and when it's that cold, that's what I gotta' do to keep the cold away.
Woke up at about 7 instead, and the house was down to about 60. Plenty of coals to restart, so I did.
Had to leave about 9, so I knew the house wouldn't get warm before I left, and the wife was leaving about 11. We both got home about 5, and I got the stove cleaned out, started a fire, then looked at the thermometer on my desk. It was 57. I'll be 57 in just over a month. Omen? Perhaps. Of what, I don't know. I DO know it was cold in the house, and it's just now getting up to 63. Still cold.
I'll stay up late if needed to get the house and everything in it, warm again.
Don't beat yourself up too bad, you just started. It's all good.

I think most of us would be lying if we said each and every fire we lit ignited easily and the fire was cruising along in a half hour . . . with experience you get better . . . but once in a while I get a few spitters in the stove and once in a while I have a fire that is just a little bit stubborn and it takes me a couple or three times to get the fire going nicely . . . or it takes me a lot longer to get the stove settled down.

Jake, maybe if we stick to it, we can both learn how to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.