Baked French Bread Inside Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jockum said:
Please post the recipe, looks great
IF you do a search on youtube there are many good recipes!

Im sorry I didnt mean to high jack this post. I love to make bread too and I use a cast iron dutch over also. Corning makes great glass pots that are also perfect for baking bread.

After my pizza fiasco I am still trying to figure out how you don't burn the bottom of the bread. Do you move all the coals to one side so that the oven sits just on the firebrick floor?

4 cords said:
Anybody ever try a nice stew on top , its so cold here and would be the perfect dinner ? Please add a recipe if you have one . Stay warm!

Made a pot roast two weeks ago, when our power went out. I took the surround off of the insert and there was enough room to get the dutch oven in there without the cover. I had never made a pot roast before, but I had eaten plenty :)

Put the pot roast in the dutch oven with cut up potatoes and carrots, diced onion. Maybe a cup or two of water, some Worstershire, salt and pepper. Ideally you want to slow cook at about 300, which worked well on top of the insert and the pot sitting on top of the blower vent. On a stove, a trivet would be necessary. I cooked the pot roast for about 6 hours. It was really, really good.

I imagine a beef stew would be similar, except much more water and a boullion cube, perhaps. The old-fashioned Yankee Pot Roast, is pretty simple though.

You really can't beat a pot roast. I do mine the same as yours except I also add a packet of lipton onion soup mix and can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (the healthy kind w/ less sodium so the roast doesn't get too salty). It makes the gravy foolproof and rich.

pen

BeGreen said:
After my pizza fiasco I am still trying to figure out how you don't burn the bottom of the bread. Do you move all the coals to one side so that the oven sits just on the firebrick floor?
The Oven was sitting on top of two fire bricks so it wasnt directly on the coals. The first time I tried it, the bottom of the bread was burnt and the middle wasnt baked properly. So my son and I tried the brick and it worked. sorry failed to mention that.

KatWill said:
sorry failed to mention that.

Sure! Hand out the procedure then leave 1 step out! I see how it is ;-P

pen

Hope nobody here is on "South Beach" here. They might have to cheat after reading this. ;) Looks great. I get similar creative spurts too.

Very nice!! They actually inject water into some ovens to get the bread crispy- which is the contrary of what you'd think. I wonder if the lid in this case helps drive up the temp inside because the metal conducts the heat of the coals around the bread and because it holds in moisture.

Adios Pantalones said:
Very nice!! They actually inject water into some ovens to get the bread crispy- which is the contrary of what you'd think. I wonder if the lid in this case helps drive up the temp inside because the metal conducts the heat of the coals around the bread and because it holds in moisture.

I've watched Julia Child do this and in a home oven she was using a big garden mister (one of those w/ a barrel on the front and a big push in pump handle on the back) and she'd put the bread in the oven, in 2 mins mist the oven, in another 2 mins mist the oven, then in another 2 mins mist again. Then continue baking and perhaps mist one last time at the end? Not sure, it's been a while.

pen

On traditionaloven.com, they recommend when making bread to rake the coals out of the oven after it is hot, put the bread in and close the oven with a wooden door that has been soaked in water. Water prolly helps with the crispiness and also from letting the door combust. Heat stored in the refractory bricks let you cook 4-6 hours. Check out the website, it will make you want to build an oven for breads, pizza, roasts, and endless other meals... I'm glad I don't have smelli-vision while looking at the site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

This is an amazing simple recipe that gives us our favorite bread.........
This thread has piqued my interest in tossing it into the Oslo. Really it's an amazing recipe that has been making the rounds of foodies. We use a cast iron enamel baker (Le Creuset) and it is better than a french bakery. There are a series of Utube videos just search "no-knead bread" and "minimalist".

Reading this thread the past couple of days has really interested me. I never made bread but my wife has always made homemade pizza dough that we cooked in the traditional oven. We may try it in the stove the next time.

I went out and purchased a Lodge dutch oven and have a pot of chili cooking on the Regency right now. I have plans to make a bean and ham soup tomorrow too. Thanks for the inspiration!

And... it smells awesome!

BeGreen said:
This is going to be my next cooking attempt. It looks more burn proof and sounds yummy: Guinness Stew. With a pint of Guinness in it, how could it not taste good?

http://kcts9.org/recipes/guinness-stew

I also have to try this one, but probably not on the woodstove.

http://kcts9.org/recipes/creamy-curry-chicken-and-rice

A restaurant I used to go to in Mass had Guiness Pie - basically the filling is what you have there only thicker and baked into a deep dish pie crust - it was delicious!!

potter said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

This is an amazing simple recipe that gives us our favorite bread.........
This thread has piqued my interest in tossing it into the Oslo. Really it's an amazing recipe that has been making the rounds of foodies. We use a cast iron enamel baker (Le Creuset) and it is better than a french bakery. There are a series of Utube videos just search "no-knead bread" and "minimalist".

I made this bread all last winter. I basically doubled it and used 2 dutch ovens. I figured I might as well take advantage of the oven being hot.
You don't need to wait 12-18 hours either. The crumb will still come out nice if it only rises for a few hours. Experiment.
Also did a variation with rosemary in the dough and on top, then sprinkle some kosher salt on top. Very good!! Brush some melted butter on top for the last few minutes.
Haven't tried any of this in the Ashley.
My wife prefers a denser crumb. May be why she likes me. %-P

Adios Pantalones said:
Yes keeping lid on steams the bread makes a thiner crust finish the baking with lid off to brown. Italian bread is baked with a damp tea cloth layed on the bread while baking and then removed to let the bread brown twards the end!

4 cords said:
Anybody ever try a nice stew on top , its so cold here and would be the perfect dinner ? Please add a recipe if you have one . Stay warm!

I grew up eating my Nana's beef stew -with V8 and some cinnamon added it is very unusual. Just thinking about it makes me want some right now. I'll see if my mother has the recipe and post it over in the DIY recipe thread.

I haven't gotten to try the bread yet (need to cut a piece of firebrick to replace that worthless ash pan plug that sticks up) but decided to make the stove do some double duty today and produce pulled pork for mama and papa. The kids might even get some too.

Attachments

• pulledpork 002.jpg
    pulledpork 002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 210
  • pulledpork 001.jpg
    pulledpork 001.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 201
KatWill said:
BeGreen said:
The Oven was sitting on top of two fire bricks so it wasnt directly on the coals. The first time I tried it, the bottom of the bread was burnt and the middle wasnt baked properly. So my son and I tried the brick and it worked. sorry failed to mention that.

Katwill -

I'm not clear on this placement. Are the firebricks sitting on top of coals or on the bottom of the stove?

Katwill,

Thank you thank you thank you. For the inspiration and the recipe. I tried it last weekend, but confused the recipe with a pizza dough one from a different thread. It was a disaster. But I gave it another shot today and it was incredible. Wish I grabbed a picture but we ate it so fast there wasn't enough time. Golden, brown, and delicious!

pen said:
I haven't gotten to try the bread yet (need to cut a piece of firebrick to replace that worthless ash pan plug that sticks up) but decided to make the stove do some double duty today and produce pulled pork for mama and papa. The kids might even get some too.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pork!

agartner said:
Katwill,

Thank you thank you thank you. For the inspiration and the recipe. I tried it last weekend, but confused the recipe with a pizza dough one from a different thread. It was a disaster. But I gave it another shot today and it was incredible. Wish I grabbed a picture but we ate it so fast there wasn't enough time. Golden, brown, and delicious!
Glad it came out ok. I gave the pizza a shot today and it came out awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.