Barefoot dissappointment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
I mentioned earlier that I had purchased a ton of Turmans and a ton of Barefoots a little over a week ago. Well, burned 10 bags of Turmans and fell in love - Hot, hot, hot, little ash. Cleaned the stove and switched to the Barefoots expecting similar results. What a dissapointment. The Fireside Ultras burned hotter and after just 3 bags the ash is building up. Perhaps I need to change some settings? The bottom buttons are set at 1-4-1 which worked great for the Turmans. Any thoughts?

Comparing pellets on the same settings is a fair comparison. How does the appearance of the flame compare? Maybe the Barefoots needed more or less air?

I'm not familiar with your stove at all, so no help there, but I will say that air and feed adjustments can greatly change the outcome of how clean pellets of different brands will burn. If the settings are not optimized to the pellet than they may produce far less heat, and even a lot more ash.
Maybe some others that are more familiar with your stove and even the pellet brands you are using will chime in soon, and give you a direction to proceed.

1D

I've changed the bottom button settings to 1-6-1 and will see what happens. Thanks for the thoughts.

That's alot of air...you might lose too much heat out your exhaust. Keep an eye on heat output and exhaust temp then compare to 1-5-1.

Imacman will come along and offer more experienced advice soon. He's probably already burned every pellet you've tried and can give you his experience in his stove.

My Fourth Season Burning Barefoots, And To Date the Hottest Pellet I have ever burned, Of Course YMMV and every stove has its favorite pellet, and it sounds like you just have to tweak your stove settings.
I have also burned NEWP, STOVE CHOW, ECO-FLAME, CHEAT RIVER, American Wood Fiber, Greenway and numerous others and every time i had to tweak the stove to find that perfect spot where the pellet shined.

Status
Not open for further replies.