barometric damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swmowarren

Feb 9, 2007
I've been reading on these and have a question.Would'nt these take warm air out of the house thru chimney?

But they prevent the wind from drawing air through the stove at a rate quiker than desired. Even if a small breeze causes the damper to open slightly, your giving away air from the room, which will have less of a cooling efect than air from inside the stove that is 400 degrees or so.

Goog

The air either goes through the stove and up the chimney, or through the baro and up the chimney, either way I think the amount going up the chimney is going to be comparable. The idea behind the is to just let the air bypass the burning process so you burn less wood. I do know that with my baro I don't worry about over firing the stove.

And very few really need them. We had one once upon a time and threw it out after a couple of months. We got along just fine without it.

I agree, for many not needed, and can cool the stovepipe too much if you are not careful. I tried to run mine without one though, and went through a lot more wood, or so it seemed to me. Not hard to install or un-install, so if it is not too pricey, probably worth trying it, especially if your manufacturer calls for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.