Bathroom remodelling, round two.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
You folks may remember me as I asked about removing tile and vinyl wallpaper from the bathroom. I've decided it's far easier to just resheetrock the room than to try to remove the tile and wallpaper. In the process of removing the tile so I can get at the nails underneath, I've noticed a couple things.

I have cedar panelling underneath (About 3/4" thick) that is basically all over my house other than my bedroom and hallway. I removed a light switch to see that behind the sheetrock is the panelling.... Interesting.

I have no insulation behind the panelling, though the wall I took is an inside wall (between my bathroom and bedroom), do you think I should insulate it? It would keep cold air from the basement (unheated) from permeating this dead space.

Also, because it is panelling, it looks like my sheetrock runs vertical, not horizontal like you're supposed to. It would be easier for me to do this job by myself if I could resheetrock it vertically (less hassle with having to hold it while nailing or screwing it in. The panelling is pretty solid and the bathroom walls as I see now are totally flat, no problem with the seam. Does this sound reasonable to do? I have no intention of removing the panelling behind it.

Jay

Jay H said:
You folks may remember me as I asked about removing tile and vinyl wallpaper from the bathroom. I've decided it's far easier to just resheetrock the room than to try to remove the tile and wallpaper. In the process of removing the tile so I can get at the nails underneath, I've noticed a couple things.

I have cedar panelling underneath (About 3/4" thick) that is basically all over my house other than my bedroom and hallway. I removed a light switch to see that behind the sheetrock is the panelling.... Interesting.

I have no insulation behind the panelling, though the wall I took is an inside wall (between my bathroom and bedroom), do you think I should insulate it? It would keep cold air from the basement (unheated) from permeating this dead space.

Also, because it is panelling, it looks like my sheetrock runs vertical, not horizontal like you're supposed to. It would be easier for me to do this job by myself if I could resheetrock it vertically (less hassle with having to hold it while nailing or screwing it in. The panelling is pretty solid and the bathroom walls as I see now are totally flat, no problem with the seam. Does this sound reasonable to do? I have no intention of removing the panelling behind it.

Jay

While it seems like most pros put up sheetrock horizonatally you can throw up the sheetrock vertically as well . . . seen this several times on HGTV and on a more personal experience my wife and I have done in this with our on-going house renovations with no problems.

I might put insulation for soundproofing in the bedroom/ bathroom shared wall.
There shouldn't be much cold coming up from the basement, but it is quite possible you have heat going out through the attic / ceiling depending on how your ceiling / attic / roof is constructed, and what services penetrate that cavity's top.

Leaving the panelling layer may simplify possible plumbing complications.

Sheetrock generally gets installed whichever way results in the least mudding. Which may depend on the panel length purchased and wall height and length.

Insulate and hang the rock perpendicular to the old sheet rock.

I missed seeing your question on insulation the first time through . . . definitely insulate . . . it may minimize cold air intrusions into a warm area made warmer through hot showers/baths if this is a problem . . . and more importantly when you're sitting there in the bathroom doing your thing after having eaten way too much of ________ (fill in the blank) everyone will appreciate the extra sound barrier . . . add in an exhaust fan and any noises you make (i.e. "Arrggghhhh . . . I think I'm __ passing a kidney stone, __ having labor pains __ about to blow up. . . . stand back everyone") will be minimized and any lingering aromas will be vented to the outside (along with the humid air from the hot showers.) You probably already know it, but springing for the moisture resistant sheetrock and going with a moisture resistant paint is a good investment for a bathroom as well if you're going to shower in there.

On our bathroom renovation we did just this -- insulated walls so now all you can hear when you're in the living room or master bedroom (which shares the wall) is a slight hum of the fan . . . my wife sleeps right through my regular . . . uh . . . regular morning . . . well you know . . . showering, shaving and other stuff.

Thanks all. I sized up the room, I figure I will need about 8 4'x8' sheets of Densarmor Plus that I was recommended which is a fiberglass backed mold resistant sheetrock. As far as insulation goes, with the panelling behind it, it doesn't look like insulating would be an easy task (I already have spare R19 insulation from my attic project). I do live alone so nobody else to bother or wake up anyway, other than my 2 cats, but they are awake way before I am. :) I have an exhaust fan already anyway, and I actually have a window in the bathroom that I open usually when taking a shower.

I would be more apt to insulate the ceiling in my basement which is open since it's unfinished than to remove the panelling. (this isn't cheap veneer, it's like 1" thick and very much real).

Jay

If you can hang the sheetrock vertically you won't have any butt seems/ much easier to tape. With the panelling that shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.