Beaver cleanup score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
My Father-in-law has a family of Beavers on his property that is doing a job on his trees. They took down a good 20-25 trees alongside a field so im cashing in on the spoils! The Beavers saved me a good amount of work, but as you can see they didnt fall many of the trees with care and they are hung up! I'll take what I can get! Im cleaning up this myself so Im just bucking one tree at a time followed by splitting/stacking it the next day.

Attachments

• beav1.jpg
    beav1.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 643
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 652
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 658
some more

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 614
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 615
bucking

Attachments

• b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 614
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 606
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 597
  • b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 583
about 45 minutes worth of splitting before the rain today, had to use my cell phone for these...Thats my dog Patrick watching me

Attachments

• wo1.jpg
    wo1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 597
  • wo2.jpg
    wo2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 609
  • pat2.jpg
    pat2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 601
Nice work in the snow..

Better move your piles away from the beavers. True story, We were gathering scrounge wood that beavers had taken down. had piles of rounds and left it until the following weekend. We came back to half our wood missing and a nice beaver trail from the pile to the pond

Nice pictures! They sure make a mess out of a creek bottom. Better set some traps and get some beaver pelts.

In PA we were the beavers are protected. If you have them you can't move them

The beavers are protected here in MA as well but my FIL may or may not have taken on a new hobby of archery! :zip:

I know of a place where beaver did the same thing, problem is the wood would be a hassle to get out!

Hey Mike, what size Dolmar is that? How do you like it?

NHFarmer said:
Better move your piles away from the beavers. True story, We were gathering scrounge wood that beavers had taken down. had piles of rounds and left it until the following weekend. We came back to half our wood missing and a nice beaver trail from the pile to the pond

Unreal, i'll have to get down there and move the splits tomorrow! :lol:

Beaverpics015.jpg

This is my beaver clean up!
These guys pissed me off and knarled into some of my best managed timber. 18 in all so far. I think there is prolly 50 or better.
I do ADC trapping work on the side and have seen these little bastages devastate 1000's of acres of timber. Much of it just cut down and not utilized.

skinnykid said:
I know of a place where beaver did the same thing, problem is the wood would be a hassle to get out!

Hey Mike, what size Dolmar is that? How do you like it?

I have a PS-510, as stated in my sig ;-), great saw, I really enjoy it.
My Step father is letting me borrow his four wheeler to pull the snagged trees down...also the trailer for it, so I dont have to lug it all out by hand to the open field for drying.

Lee, crazy the destruction they can do! My FIL thinks he is dealing with 6-8. I asked him why he just didnt call to have them relocated, and he said they charge to much for the fee.......$600 later and a new bow, he has a "hobby" :lol:

Edit: Maybe I should set my Wheaten loose on them...I read that they were used, many moons ago, to battle the beaver down.

How bout a little wood I.D. as well? Third post fourth picture is what I have split in the next post, is it White Oak?

What a mess they create! Protected or not they would not be destroying my property like that, they would be relocated. :)

interchangabLEE said:
Looky like ass pin!

LOL Have you been sucking back the ole cough syrup?!?

mikepinto65 said:
interchangabLEE said:
Looky like ass pin!

LOL Have you been sucking back the ole cough syrup?!?

He must..............Yep, Thats Aspen (some call it Poplar, Big tooth, Quaking) Burns faster than pine.

WoodButcher

Saw running good eh, I'm coming up on about 12 cord with mine so far.

WoodButcher

Thanks for the ID. I though Poplar was colored a bit in the grain, this is all white? (the pics of the splits are the same tree)

The saw is running great....nice and strong, couldn't ask for much more!

You'd hink with all the practice they get, those beavers would know how to avoid hanging up their tree. I guess they'll just have to keep practicing.

Those trees look like Bigtooth Aspen. We also have Quaking Aspen here in PA, and I think you have one of the two, for sure. These aren't the same type of poplar as Yellow Poplar (aka Tulip Poplar), which I think can have some color in the grain. The aspens are usually white all the way through, at least here in PA.

Yes those industrial little creatures can do quite a bit of damage, couple of times DEC gave us a nuisance permit to trap 'em ...they just want to know the weight of each animal you harvest. Looks like poplar aka aspen to me mike ...good shoulder season wood. Actually with the newer stoves poplar gets more bang for the buck but only if it's free. Good for mike working in that wet weather yesterday.

Nice harvest you have there LEE too bad the market cratered for fur. When I was growing up the kids that trapped had the best bikes and the first with nice cars...there was money to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.