below grade chimmney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kimcoulee

Dec 11, 2007
western WI
Currently have a disconnected EK Industries wood furnace (1985 vintage) in our 1880's brick farmhouse. Current heat is FA oil and house has one brick chimney that the furnace uses. I desperately would like to burn wood to heat but either need another chimney or change to a direct vent LP furnace..and switch existing chimney over to the wood furnace. Here is the question...with the wood furnace in the basement has anyone ever seen or heard of running a stainless chimney below grade through the foundation and away from the house some distance before turning vertical. We still have the original two hole outhouse and an 8' brick chimney along side the outhouse would look kinda cool. Underground pipe could have an approximate rise of 25% as the surrounding ground around the house slopes up. The other option is to build a new brick chimney which I'd rather not do but would if that were my only available option. The house is full two stories plus full height attic. I'm scared of heights! Ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A house in my neighborhood has Class A that pops out of the earth and rises to the peak probably because of the same but it's only about 1' away from the house. Can't give you a product name or anything.

My guess is, trying to get draft going will be a chore with a chimney with a long horizontal run but, was actually rather common in the old days. Everyone knew those old stoves sent out lots of heat out the flue so they used to install the stoves a dozen or more feet away from the chimney and run a stretch of horizontal pipe with a slight incline to get as much heat out of the flue as possible (they used to be damn hot). My Dad did that and within a year had a massive chimney fire that ruined his chimney and he needed to get tube put down his flue and poured so from my own personal experience they build up creosote real fast and don't think it a good idea.

Stick to something that is easy to maintain, and blend with the design of your house. You will be happy in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.