Benefit to running an inline chimney damper on double wall black pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who runs double wall pipe inside their home, and a damper? Why do you? What is the benefit? My brother in laws father (who runs single wall black) swears by them. I only see a benefit for taming a fire under very windy circumstances... but I am absolutely open to opinions. Thanks

I have ICC Ultrablack off my stove. I installed their damper and I find that it is working for what I needed. The only weird thing I found about it was that the butterfly valve itself is mostly open due to them laser / plasma cutting out the letters "ICC" in the top part of the plate and a large window in the bottom part. In their literature, they say even fully closed, it's still 20% "open", so I am assuming this is how they accomplish this.

In any case, I only installed the damper two nights ago, and so far, it seems to be helping with the near-overfiring temps when fully closed down I was getting that I was attributing to too much draft in my basement installation. The damper is well made, and was about $50CAD from my local shop. Of course, I had to replace the 24" fixed section of connector off the stove with a 12" slip section which made my little experiment a little more costly, but I am happy so far :)

Reactions: Light in the Dark
Status
Not open for further replies.