Benefits of Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The chippies are the worst of the problem. The are destructive little bastiges. That's why I gave up, tired of working my arse off when I can just take a ten minute drive over the hill for the same (or even better) vegetables..
The bucket of death is the only thing I've ever tried that came close to thinning the herd.

I didn't do it this year and the little bastards ate all my peaches.

Reactions: ScotO
I feel bad for poor Blanch......what did she do wrong?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Habaneros are setting
DSCF0358.JPG

Summer:
Salmon all put up; some smoked, some frozen fillets, some canned in jars.
Several bags of Broccoli in the freezer. ( Got it before the moose this year) Garden slow this year, cooler than normal but still growing.
Lots of ripe tomatoes & cucumbers from the Green house.
Wood is seasoning.
Several cookouts at the fire pit.
Several of the "worlds problems" solved with, friends, neighbors, a few beers & a good fire in the evening.

IMG_0510.jpg
You could send the extras to me!
I keep aiming them in your direction, buy they keep running back into the river;)Goin fluking tomorrow, wife wants me to repeat this meal from the last time I went

Peaches and tomatos are in so the wife is making Peachs salsa YUMMMM

Meeting in Niantic 10 am, we have room for you:cool:

Thanks for the invite D...I hope if I ever get out your way, we could work that out! Just make sure you show some pictures!! At heart I am a bottom fisher, so please share the photos...As caught, Filleted and then cooked!:cool:

Defiant - you suck (Don't take it personally, it is just my jealous side coming out)

As far as sweet corn - sorry NorEaster's...you don't know corn. Illinois and Iowa know corn. Corn and beans and beef/deer (throw Wisconsin in for that one). That is all we have. No seafood (unless freshwater and caught yourself), no nothing. We suck at pretty much everything else, but CORN ohhhh...lets not get into to that argument.;);lol

We're not to shabby when it comes to sweet corn down here in the Hoosier state. I grilled 10 ears last night and the kids slayed it. It went from stalk to grill in 5 minutes.

Mix up some basting sauce (I use butter, garlic, pepper, and some fish sauce)....remove from husk, and grill on a screamin hot grill for about 2-3 minutes per quarter (turn 1/4 turn). It went from stalk to grill in 5 minutes. Heaven.

For having literally no rain we having a decent garden year. I'm sure glad I planted extra plants because the production isn't near as high as last year on a per plant basis.

Indiana can hold there own on corn. For me - I am a purist. Only 4 things are allowed to touch my sweet corn (and I am a sweet corn whore - I easily eat 8+ ears at a time) Hot water, butter (real), salt, my hands.

Indiana can hold there own on corn. For me - I am a purist. Only 4 things are allowed to touch my sweet corn (and I am a sweet corn whore - I easily eat 8+ ears at a time) Hot water, butter (real), salt, my hands.

I can appreciate that, but you really should try it.

I can appreciate that, but you really should try it.

I have - every way to Sunday. Grilled, smoked, steamed, microwaved, Mexican style, Inuit hut on the 3rd Friday of July with a full moon. I still go back to the way it should be...water, butter, salt.

I dunno, Jags...some of the finest tasting sweet corn I've had came right out of the Shenandoah valley when I lived in Virginia. I don't think you have to be in the Heartland to come across some really nice corn...unless, of course, you're looking for thousands of square miles of it. ;lol Rick

...unless, of course, you're looking for thousands of square miles of it. ;lol Rick

A friend of mine raises a few hundred acres of sweet corn for DelMonte (the stuff the rest of the country buys in a can). It has about a 3 day window of being good. Then two weeks later, DelMonte will come and pick it.;lol

I knew a guy in MA that would get the water boiling before he picked corn. When the pot was boiling he'd run out, pick, shuck, and toss it in. Said that if he dropped a piece on the way in he didn't stop to spoil the bunch.

Only issue there is that I MUCH prefer putting corn in a pot of cold water, heat to boiling, boil 1 minute, then shut it off and cover for 10-15 mins. Cannot overcook corn that way, and it tastes great when you're on your 6th piece out of the pot.

All in all Jags- I like boiled, salt, butter best as well. Grilled to the slightest char is great when cutting off the cob for salads and certain recipes that I do- but it's not the same.

I also soak the whole thing in water, then grill with the husk on to steam- but that can go wrong on occasion.

Thanks for the invite D...I hope if I ever get out your way, we could work that out! Just make sure you show some pictures!! At heart I am a bottom fisher, so please share the photos...As caught, Filleted and then cooked!:cool:
It got a little sporty in the am
100_3669.jpg
but managed to get some dinner
100_3698.jpg
:cool:

I am not familiar with ocean fish. What you got laying on the cutting board? I think I see a couple of flounder, maybe a couple of rock fish and ??? Fill me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.