Best place to store dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Backwood savage it is white oak and hickory. I just came back from Lowes where i got a moisture meter. Tomorrow I will test what I have and give you the results of my measurement.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Last year I bucked, split and stacked a large oak that came down in the '09 ice storm. It was soaking wet on the inside. That wood will not be ready to burn until winter 14-15 at the very earliest.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Windy spot top covered. Probably needs seasoning. Check a fresh split with MM.

I just checked a fresh split with MM and I got 18.8. This wood had been in the house for a couple of days. So tomorrow I will check 6 logs in different part of the pile outside. I am optimistic and crossing my fingers.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I just checked a fresh split with MM and I got 18.8. This wood had been in the house for a couple of days. So tomorrow I will check 6 logs in different part of the pile outside. I am optimistic and crossing my fingers.

Looks like you will be good to go! Excellent luck getting a couple of cords this late that seem to be under 20% MC. Just curious, what does a delivered cord go for nowadays down in PA and which species do you get? I started getting my wood off my property but this year a buddy says they are going for $225 - $265 delivered this time of year for dry sticks. Up here it's mostly maple and oak.

I am getting White Oak, Hickory and Maple the guy is charging $150 a cord. And it is a real 4x4x8 cord. I checked when I put is away, That is why I ordered another 2 for this year. My Wife who is always cold is telling me that she is to warm, that is a real plus.

I am getting White Oak, Hickory and Maple the guy is charging $150 a cord. And it is a real 4x4x8 cord. I checked when I put is away, That is why I ordered another 2 for this year. My Wife who is always cold is telling me that she is to warm, that is a real plus.
If you can get good seasoned wood for $150 you should order a couple years worth.

Weatherguy. I was thinking about that too. But tomorrow will be the moment of truth I will check several logs outside and we will see what happens.. Thanks for the all the advice and all the help.

Hello Guys.
I checked several piece of wood that was delivered a couple weeks ago. Humidity on all of then is between 15 and 20%. So my wood is really seasoned. Hope the one that i have delivered in the next two weeks is the same way.
Damien

Last edited:
Excellent, Damien! If the next load is the same, get as much as you can afford! Your wood dealer is a true gem.:)

Fireboard and and all of you on hearth.com have make my transition to wood go a lot smoother then I thought. And I want to thank all of you for you help, encouragement and support. You are all true GEMS. Damien

Hi Damien and welcome to the forum! Congrats on getting wood that is truly seasoned - you are in the minority. And a true cord on top of that! That wood seller is a good businessman for sure.

As for your original question, IF the wood is dry, which it seems like it is, and given that your garage is concrete and cinder block, I think it would be okay to store your wood in the garage. You're burning it this year so it will only be there a few months. Some have mentioned bugs, but I store a week's worth in my basement and have never had any problems. One of the advantages of seasoned wood is many fewer bugs, and I don't think they would hurt your garage anyway.

What part of Pittsburgh are you in? I have family up that way.

Hi Damien. I burn, exclusively, oak and maybe 5% hickory because that is what grows on our land. Both woods need a good three years to season properly.
I'd like to double check your measurements with the moisture meter. When we say "fresh split" we mean that YOU have to take a piece of wood and split it yourself and then stick the prongs of the meter into the face of the fresh split. You can't measure by using the face of any piece of wood that arrived already split. And you can't measure by sticking the probes into the end of the stick.

So, did you split a piece yourself THEN measure it. You might also double check the meter by measuring the outside of an 'old' split versus the inside of your new split. Also, check it against the palm of your hand. See what sort of variety of readings you're getting.
And test several new splits, not just a random one.

Finally, if many new splits are testing out at <20% I strongly suggest you order as much wood as you can store - up to three years worth. Because that is a great price for oak/hickory that is already dry!

Reactions: firebroad
yes I did split the wood again and I got those results, In addition I test 6 pieces of the wood I had left and I got these results

Then you are golden! Go buy some more~!

Wow! You hit the jackpot! Like others said get next years too if you have the cash. Good price too.

Status
Not open for further replies.