Best Results with the Jotul C350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bagpiper

Aug 18, 2008
Long Island NY
Hi,

I got a question via PM that I thought might be helpful to others.

Question via PM:

I see you are running the C350 and seem to be pleased with it’s performance.

Question 1)
What operating temp do you find optimal (ie: heat output) for this stove ?
450? 500? 550? 600?

Question 2)
Do you run damper wide open or ½?, ¼? full close ?

Question 3)
Are you adding small splits or large pieces for each new load ?

Im finding it difficult to maintain my desired 550F, when adding large pieces.

The wood I burn is Red Oak, aged ~ 16months under a tarp.

The stove seems to favor smaller size wood splits - do you find the same thing ?

Any other tips are appreciated !

Thanks.

MY REPLY

The short answer is:

1) I don’t measure the Operating Temp of insert
2) Adjust as needed
3) Use both Large and Small Splits

I don’t measure the operating temperature of the insert, basically because I don’t own of thermometer that works with the insert. This has forced me to rely on my senses, a room thermostat and inexpensive hygrometer.

The 5 key things I monitor for adjustments are the room temp, listening for the blower, and visually inspect the fire and embers. For comfort I also monitor the humidity levels.

When starting a fire, add a couple of small dry splits, open the air control setting fully, and leave the insert door open until the fire is going strong. Then keep adding several small splits to quickly increase to proper operating temperatures. Usually by the time I see a full bed of glowing embers in the firebox the blower will start up, telling me that the stove is hot enough.

With the blower fully operational, I can start burning larger splits. Now I adjust the air control settings to half or fully closed depending on the burn. The large splits can now burn slowly and efficiently on the established bed of embers.

If the room is feels too hot, the first thing I do is adjust blower settings.

If the fire looks like it needs to ramped up, open the air control settings.

If you hear that the blower has stopped, or you need more heat, start adding small splits and open the air control settings.

I have been trying balance the amount of wood used vs heat output vs burn time once the insert is hot, the fire is well established and with a bed of embers.

I try to use as few splits as possible get achieve a slow steady burn with great heat output. This is easier if you are monitoring the insert, but this is impractical at times, such as going to bed, leaving the house, etc,

At those times, I have hopefully created enough heat that I then focus try achieving the maximum burn time for the overnight burn.

Order of Fine Tuning Adjustments

1) Blower First
2) Air Control Settings Second
3) Amount of Wood last.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.