Best value wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feistey41_00

Aug 4, 2008
Missouri
[To all,

I need to replace a wood burning insert. I have visited with three local suppliers of wood stoves that can provide me a
Napoleon 1402, a BuckStove (either a model 74 or a model 81), and a drolet Escape Model 1400 wood burning insert.

I am looking for:

1) Longevity
2) Parts replacement
3) Burn efficiency
4) Value.

As you can see, cheap is not necessarily best in my book. I was wondering if anyone would have some thoughts about the overall quality of wood burning inserts. I currently have a Heatilator (by Arrow) I22 wood burning insert that has a fan out. I CANNOT FIND A REPLACEMENT AND IT MAKES ME SAD. That is mainly why I really want to concentrate on quality and parts replacement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John

Just my thoughts but I would buy one of the Bucks. Those folks have been building stoves for a long time and they are tanks. Building'em longer than pretty much anybody but Englander. Both around for 30 something years.

If they didn't go away after the boom times in the '70s died down they aren't going away any time soon.

Buck stv did go out 2 or 3 times. Not a bad product. The others have been dumbed down to be sold by anyone. Have you looked at a Quadra Fire, lifetime warrenty on the body, 5 yr on wear items, 2 yrs on fans, company has been around 30-35 yrs

I thought about Quadrafire, but they are the company that purchased Heatilator. Their dealer was not a big help in finding a fan, and the company wasn't very much help either. The whole experience with them was very frustrating. I have another post regarding a replacement fan.

Check with a motor shop, the motor just need oiling. Worst case scenario a rebuild or replacement. If they can oil it, bring in both fans and get them lubed at the same time.

I can't say that any company is gonna do better for your fan after a number of years - these companies usually do end up changing hands, etc...or people, anyway - and a lot of the old knowledge goes out the door.

Yes, Buck went complete belly up a number of times, and this Buck is not that Buck - although enough bucks sold that there are lots of parts sources.

How about Country Flame? They are in your neck of the woods and have been around a long long time....recently bought by American Energy but no changes in the line. They are made in MO, I think.

Quad did not buy Heatilator, that Heatilator is a fireplace co.

humpin iron said:
Quad did not buy Heatilator, that Heatilator is a fireplace co.

What is a heatilator?? do you put it in your fireplace or does it create a fireplace??

feistey said:
I thought about Quadrafire, but they are the company that purchased Heatilator. Their dealer was not a big help in finding a fan, and the company wasn't very much help either. The whole experience with them was very frustrating. I have another post regarding a replacement fan.

Hearth and Home Tech owns Quad as well as Harman and others.They seem to be smart enough to let the companies they bought run themselves.
http://www.hearthnhome.com/
They really should update their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.