Bi level Ceiling fan ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
For those of you not familiar with a Bi level lay out.
From the front entrance of the home , six stairs up to main level & six stairs down to lower level.
This is where I installed a ceiling fan to move heat from stove in lower level to upper level.
My question is should the fan blades pull the air up to the ceiling or push the air from the ceiling to the floor??
doug

The idea, say, in a vaulted room is usually to pull heat up in the center of the room, forcing it down the ceiling to the outside walls, wash, rinse, repeat.

This may take a fan outside of the lower level. The ceiling fan there might only circulate the heat within the room. If you have a table fan, put it at the top of the steps pointed down towards the stove. Blow the cool air towards the stove.

If that works, recently there was a post about a nice Stanley/Lasko fan that worked well for this purpose.

I have a raised ranch (much like a bi-level) with my stove in a room adjoining the main house that is at ground level. I had heard many times to push the cold air to the stove. Well I finally tried it, and.............. it seems to work very well. The room the stove in doesn't seem to get as hot, the upstairs stays about the same as it did, but the downstairs seems much more comfortable. The wife spent 2 hours down there working on the computer with a t-shirt and no socks, and if you knew my wife that speaks volumes for the temp. down there. I also have two stairwells which probably helps the air to circulate.

I ended up putting like a 16" stand fan at the bottom of the lower level stairs blowing up and into the room where the stove is. So... I guess I would recommend, if your stove is in the lower level put a fan on the landing blowing down the stairs, and I guess if you wanted to take it further, if you have a second stairwell, blow that one up the stairs....wha la....heat circulation.

Ha!! And after proof reading this before submitting it, I realized you just might be picturing my wife with JUST a t-shirt on. However, regretfully she did have pants on also. Thought I would save myself responding to photo requests. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.