1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Big black walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Chief, we visually checked it and checked it with a metal detector as best as we could tell there's no metal in it. The guy who is bringing the mill (it is a portable bandmill) said even if we hit a nail or two, the blades for the mill are under 20 bucks a piece so its worth chancing to get this wood.

I saved the 12' 6" upper crotch log for that very reason, SJ! Also for a couple newel post blanks and a gunstock blank or two....
    smokinj likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Or 50 or 100 lol Nice log hot wax the ends very soon bw likes to split if you dont. :)
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Nice work Scotty! 3" of sapwood I'm shocked I thought it would have been less. I love the walnut beautiful wood, reminds me of when I had some logged. :)
    ScotO likes this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Oddly for some reason, the black walnuts in our area all have a big sapwood band. When you head east of here its a lot smaller. Might be something genetic, I really don't know!
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    It will bleed out over time......Yard birds will have a little thicker sapwood to! but it all works out nice in the end.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    table finnish.JPG
    skyline, Dairyman and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

smoking I actually like the color variegated like that. Either way, cross your fingers for me as its supposed to rain tomorrow and I don't want that to happen. I need around four good hours to get this tree milled in the morning!!
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

SJ THAT'S AWESOME! I'm hoping I can do something like that! Did you get your wood kiln dried or did you sticker it and let it air dry?
    smokinj likes this.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    That dust seem to clog pretty good in the rain! lol Been there a couple times. Even in a snow strom winds blowing over 25 mph and "MMAUL" puts the chain on backwards.....
  10. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Looking bad on the rain Scott, raining from the gulf all the way to Canada. Still raining here this low is just massive.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    He can pull it off! lol No excuses Please and get pic's or it never happened! :p
    ScotO likes this.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'll do my best. If we mill it, you bet yer a$$ there will be pics!!
    smokinj likes this.
  13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

Got a canopy? Pitch a tent ;lol
    ScotO likes this.
  14. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

I wonder if that thing still produces? I would had to mow under it if it does.
  15. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I love seeing pics of that saw. Nice walnut too.

[​IMG]
    ScotO likes this.
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks MC......I love running that ol' girl! I have two of those old 041AVE Supers, and they are by far my favorite saw ever. This one has a custom muffler I built for it, you oughta hear it!
  17. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Nice logs there Scott. Good job bringing it down. Will be great to see them opened up soon.
    ScotO and smokinj like this.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks Thistle. I talked to the guy with the mill, we're still on for tomorrow granted it isn't pouring. Weather is calling for intermittent rain, maybe we'll get lucky...<>;hm ...we'll see. Pics to follow.....
  19. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I dont mind a little light rain,I draw the line at working in heavy downpours,lightning/high winds or if its below 45 degrees. Had pneumonia twice its no fun.
    ScotO likes this.
  20. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I don't mind some rain or snow either. Temps don't bother me, except when it is extremely hot. I'm not so sure he wants his mill out in the rain, that will be the sticking point. If he can't get it tomorrow, I have another guy who will mill it for me but it won't be til tuesday. We'll see what happens. I hope we can do it tomorrow....
  21. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Did you get this bucked up yet, the saw looks great.
    zap
  22. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yes we got all the little stuff bucked up, Zap. If the rain holds off the big stuff gets milled tomorrow morning....hope the weather cooperates!;)
  23. ScotO

ScotO Guest

looks like mother nature screwed me again. It poured all morning, and after a brief lull in the rain it's looking like another couple hours of pouring rain. If he doesn't show up with the mill this weekend, onto plan "B" (a guy at work has a stationary mill, gotta start thinking about loading that trunk up on my tandem axle trailer and taking it out to his place).....we'll see if the weather breaks this afternoon. If not, we're gonna think about taking it to the other place...this weather really pi$$es me off!:mad:
    smokinj likes this.
  24. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Well even though the rain has screwed me as far as the milling is concerned today, I did get all the firewood from that tree to the house and unloaded it at my wood stack. I did a cardinal no-no in my book.......I didn't split it on -site! I hate bringing big rounds home (there are several big rounds on the backside of the pile) but I wanted to get that site cleaned up prior to milling the logs. Hoping for a break I get the rain......we're still on for killing this evening if we get a lull in the precipitation. Keeping fingers crossed! Resampled952012-03-249514-05-4295925.jpg
    smokinj likes this.
  25. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

That Black Walnut is some nice looking wood.

zap