Big E problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2010
Frederick, MD
Hello, the company I work for has a big e pellet stove and I have been nominated to see if I can find out what's wrong with it. It seems to be functioning ok but when we shut it down, the fan keeps running.. Even an hour later, it's cold, still runs. We unplugged it, waited approx. 20 minutes, plugged it back in, and the fan came back on, the on switch came on, and began feeding pellets. I don't know much about it other than basic function and cleaning. Everything was cleaned last week including exhaust pipe. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

Welcome speed.

Do you have a multimeter?

Check one thing for me before I say its the control board. Unplug the stove please! On the combustion blower housing there is a small switch(POF) with 2 wires hooked to it. Set the meter to ohms and check the continuety. It should be open. If the switch is closed. Unplug 1 wire and then plug in the stove. The fans should come on for a second or so and then shut off. If the fans contunue the board is probably toast!

Post what you find please.

clean the combustion fan housing and venting. Then check the POF (proof of fire) swith on the combustion blower. The board is the last thing but most likly the problem.

Eric

What about the sensor on the back wall of the stove in the upper left corner. I had a bunch of soot get in there and as soon as I turned the stove on both fans came one. I went over it with a brush and once the build up was cleared the circulator fan didn't turn on until needed.

Well the boss heard from someone who said to replace the board. So we did. Plugged it in, again it automatically turned on, fan came on, started feeding pellets.

Speed said:
Well the boss heard from someone who said to replace the board. So we did. Plugged it in, again it automatically turned on, fan came on, started feeding pellets.

I guess you didn't read what I posted. Check the "POF" switch. I'll bet its stuck closed. Unplug the stove, Then pull off 1 wire on the switch and plug the stove back in to see what ya got!

Speed said:
Ok so I tried that. The fan did not come on until I hit the on switch. Then it kept running. Thanks for your help.

Ypur not done yet! Don't run the stove like this to much. It was just to test the POF switch amd you need to replace the switch brfore putting the stove into service for the season! I wonder if the original board is still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.