1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Big square fireboxes

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrowningBAR, Dec 31, 2012.

1. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    On the corollary, why do they make non-square fireboxes. My trapezoidal one drives me crazy.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. herdbull

herdbull Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I'm not so sure it's the squareness you like but the 3.5 cubic ft ;)

I know that's why I like mine. I got short little arms so I load mine N/S. On E/W loading I'm up to my armpit before I can reach the back of the stove ;lol.
  3. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    No, it's the squareness.

Shorties are a pain in the ass with the 3.2 cu ft firebox located in the other room.
  4. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I finally went thru my short log's now back to normal size splits that fill the stove.:)
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sure hope someone installs one of these big puppies soon. It's a good looker with the Alterra style door on it. I'm curious how it does vs the marketing claims.
  6. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    I want square corners. No pretty angles please. I like my stove but omg those corners make me crazy.
  7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    The half-moon firebox design of the Encore and Defiant can be a pain as well when you are trying to pack a tight firebox.
  8. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Yes I'm a skeptic but 90lbs in 4.4cuft box (if it really has that much useable space). Possibly if there are no ashes and each piece is the heaviest wood. I measured my average splits that are 21-24" long and they weigh 5lbs ea.(no oak in the pile). So that is 18 splits to make 90lbs. My 30" Elm is easily over 5cuft and although I've never tried I doubt I can get 90lbs in. The 36" Elm would easily do it.
  9. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds like the box is bigger than the BKK and I'm pretty sure we've had BKK owners weighing 80lb loads.

I personally have no interest in a stove that takes a 22 inch split, 6x8 or 8x8 rectangles/squares that I split weigh enough at 16 inches, I don't want to deal with the extra weight adding by 6 inches to those. The extra seasoning time would also be a downer for me.
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I weighed a load of dry oak before putting it in the 30-NC years ago and tight loaded it was ounces shy of 60 pounds.
  11. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Those troublesome splits that are fatter at one end fit perfectly. ==c
  12. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I bet the other night i had at least 50 pounds of red oak it produced a nice secondary burn.