Big Stihl needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have a MS260 pro that I have used for years but I have to pass on many finds or call in a someone with a bigger saw and of course split the wood with them. I am willing to spend around 500 for a used stihl and I am thinking of something like a 440 or 660. I think it would be used very little because I like the light weight of the 260. Would an older model meet my needs just as well? Any recommendations?

460...lol 044,046.066

Have there been any imporvements in the newer saws that would justify getting one of them even if it had more time on it? Were the older ones harder to start?

Bspring said:
Have there been any imporvements in the newer saws that would justify getting one of them even if it had more time on it? Were the older ones harder to start?

No! Pretty much the same saw....

Bspring said:
I have a MS260 pro that I have used for years but I have to pass on many finds or call in a someone with a bigger saw and of course split the wood with them. I am willing to spend around 500 for a used stihl and I am thinking of something like a 440 or 660. I think it would be used very little because I like the light weight of the 260. Would an older model meet my needs just as well? Any recommendations?

Yes

Question - what size bar are you running on your 260 and how big are the trees you're passing on?

I am using a 16" now. I think a 28" would do the job.

Bspring said:
you must have friggin big trees there. I was thinking you could pull a 20" on a Pro saw like yours (I do on my 028), that would get you to over 3 ft trees. You only need to buy a new bar and chain combo at that point.

Not trying to talk you out of a new saw, just trying to figure out options.

Bspring said:

28 inch would be 70+cc's.....

Husky 3120 or Stihl 090 :coolgrin:

So you're regularly passing on 4' diameter logs?

I get through some pretty big Douglas Fir (God's own firewood) with a 20" bar. . . .

Thistle said:

Your carrying it! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Your carrying it! ;-)

We can trade off,since we're pretty close in age,OK? ;-) Or get one of these young bucks to do it lol Beard's coming off this week,87 yesterday,47 today,60's by the weekend too damn hot with it now.

Attachments

• me ready for action40311.jpg
    me ready for action40311.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 320
There are not many of them but around really old houses you see them. The professionals can get them but the average guys like me don't have saws big enough so I miss out on thoses. In the pic below someone cut this one up for me or I would have had to pass on it.

Attachments

• PA300088-1[1].jpg
    PA300088-1[1].jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 290
Who knew that Bigfoot had a Poulan Pro 470?

Attachments

• bigfootusesapoulan.jpg
    bigfootusesapoulan.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 299
Bspring said:
There are not many of them but around really old houses you see them. The professionals can get them but the average guys like me don't have saws big enough so I miss out on thoses. In the pic below someone cut this one up for me or I would have had to pass on it.

Got it. But now I have to know how you got those in your truck. . .

Danno77 said:
Who knew that Bigfoot had a Poulan Pro 470?

lol yeah Bigfoot size 9D steel toe vibram sole

Bspring said:

Holly smoke that is some big rounds.....lol 460+

smokinjay said:
Holly smoke that is some big rounds.....lol 460+
definitely.

Damn thats very tempting....I wonder if they'd sell just the powerhead & ship UPS?

Thistle said:
Damn thats very tempting....I wonder if they'd sell just the powerhead & ship UPS?

41 or bigger bar would make it a great deal....Still not bad. Does make the 660 look small!

Sat for a month listed for $1k...no takers so they may take less than 9.

Bigg_Redd said:
Bspring said:

Got it. But now I have to know how you got those in your truck. . .

The guy let me use his bobcat.

I use a Husqvarna saw in the 70cc range all the time (372xp). I have a 24 inch bar on it and last year I cut two trees wider than the bar. I am actually looking at smaller saws right now as the bigger saws can be a little much for limbing. I suspect you would be happy with a saw in the 70cc range as I am (044, 440, 441), it goes through big trees fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.