Big weather fluctuations. AAARG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Last week it was below zero F.
Then it went into the 20s & we got some snow for a few days.
Today it's 40°f, 10 mph winds.
With a wood stove, it is harder to keep the house at around a span of 70 -74 when
these weather changes come in quickly.
Don't get me wrong, I like 40°, but in early spring & late fall.
The weather fluctuations, just suck.
Now we'll have ice over everything, AAARG.
Just venting :) LOL,
Like a friend told me, "Embrace change or get out of the way" "Things will always be changing"
So I "embrace" But give me 20°f all winter & I'll be happier.
Yesterday pics snow on trees & the wind started
Todays pics snow gone from trees & 40° & melting.

Attachments

• 100_5673.jpg
    100_5673.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_5679.jpg
    100_5679.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_5696.jpg
    100_5696.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_5695.jpg
    100_5695.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 277
I'll take those 40's off your hands, send them here!

Well this front came in & gave the Mid & North east some of our cold air.
Sounds fair, come & get it :)

bogydave said:
Well this front came in & gave the Mid & North east some of our cold air.
Sounds fair, come & get it :)
yeah you def gave us some of ur cold air. dont even see 40's in our forecast anytime soon. must feel like summer to you witht that big of a change in temp.

ecocavalier02 said:
yeah you def gave us some of ur cold air. dont even see 40's in our forecast anytime soon. must feel like summer to you witht that big of a change in temp.

Almost anyway. :)
I just went for a walk with a sweat shirt & Steeler's stocking hat & gloves & it was nice.
Out long term forecast is for more of the same thru Sat at least. (but that may change quick here)
Saving on fire wood for sure, coupe of sticks, house is in the 70s.

5 degrees last night. 47 daytime temp tomorrow. Snow Wednesday. Sheesh. I think I am in Alaska. But I don't get an oil royalty check. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
5 degrees last night. 47 daytime temp tomorrow. Snow Wednesday. Sheesh. I think I am in Alaska. But I don't get an oil royalty check. :mad:

Somebody has got to do it,
Cold, Dark, Snowy Winters & Isolated from 48 other states, miserable place to be.
Summers are mosquito infested & the wolves & bears are always trying to eat us.

State budget folks keep trying to get it (oil royalty $$) They eventually will I'm sure.

Glad you understand
You'd be welcome, love it & fit right in.

You can keep those 40's. I HATE driving on ice!!!

PJF1313 said:
You can keep those 40's. I HATE driving on ice!!!

I don't want/like them either, for 2 months anyway.
I agree, the icy conditions it causes is bad, & we're gonna get cold again.

BrotherBart said:

I don't understand how you folks in Alaska do it. We talk 40 above zero is cold and I know you deal with 40 below for weeks if not months at a time...

We had 'actual feel' temp here in the Philly area this week of +2 to +10, and to me that's friggin cold. I can deal with about anyhing over about 15 -20 degrees, (with a good jacket) no issues, minus the serious wind.

God Bless all of you all.... including the ones that survive. (joking, but serious)

Dave by the looks of things this might be another year with bad conditions (too warm; not enough snow) for the Iditarod.

I heard 40 south of us today and I'd love to see some of that. I about froze my face and fingers plowing snow today. But, it was warmer than the past few days.

bogydave said:
Cold, Dark, Snowy Winters & Isolated from 48 other states, miserable place to be.

Ya its bloody awful. Best for everyone to stay away and let us fools deal with it. ;-P

north of 60 said:
bogydave said:

Ya its bloody awful. Best for everyone to stay away and let us fools deal with it. ;-P

Every winter, I keep saying I should move. But now that I got my blood all thickened up for over 30 years, I don't
know if I could take the summers in the south. Anything over 80°f (27C) about kills me. 40° f is a spring day, 60f is a summer day.
So many roads down there I get lost all the time.
I don't feel the mosquito bites anymore (maybe I taste bad),
I think bears are big rodents & wolves make good coats,
so I wouldn't fit in anyway. ;)

Besides I like winter, clean cold brisk air, snow. Maybe a few more hours of daylight would be nice.
When I go outside, for a few weeks, I'm ready to come back. Got things to do to get ready for next winter. LOL

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave by the looks of things this might be another year with bad conditions (too warm; not enough snow) for the Iditarod.

I heard 40 south of us today and I'd love to see some of that. I about froze my face and fingers plowing snow today. But, it was warmer than the past few days.

Yes. If we get through Feb & don't go below zero again, we are over the hump. Sun will be getting some heat in it then.
Days will get over 10 hours of daylight. March is our snow month, normally & snow machine time. Sun melts the roads in daytime. Then, over 12 hours daylight. "Break up" starts
1st 1/2 of April, the whole state smell like dog crap for 2 weeks (6 months of it stored up everywhere & it thaws)
"cabin fever" month, you have good weather to go outside but the yard is thawed 2" down & you sink in, lakes are thawing, but not quit usable.
Just can't do much, been cooped up all winter & want too.

I'm getting long winded but, by this time of year we've had 4 months of winter, we just went up over 7 hours of daylight & can't see the end yet.
& I've had better winters. (Cabin fever starting early I think)

I'll take 10 to 20° f till March & be happy, 40 scares me cause I know it one of Winter's bluffs. I worry "What's next??" :)

36°f & windy still :(

Status
Not open for further replies.