Bigger Stove - Smaller Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
I know this topic gets tossed around quite a lot - but maybe you all can shed some additional light. I'm thinking about fires in early Fall and Spring when the outside temps usually range between 32-60 in my area, Portland Oregon.

How small of a fire can you burn and still have a bigger stove produce viable heat? Rhoemas, in another thread, gave, what seemed like a good example, between number of splits and heat output his stove. And would there be a difference, in that equation, between a soapstone and a cast iron stove rated at the same number of BTU's?

Hi -

I'm new to good cast iron EPA type stoves but do heat 24/7 with my VC. I use up small stuff2-3" and smaller, and softish wood like Sassafras and conifers. Small hot fires. Bank with a couple of medium splits and let it go out when it's done during the night. It's working well. Keeps the place 62-72F and that works for me.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.