birds falling down chimney, screen too restrictive ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
On several occasions, every spring/summer (thankfully this tends to not occur during wood-burning season), a bird will manage to fall down into my chimney and into the firebox. Some times we manage to rescue it, sometimes not. It's annoying and we feel bad about the bird too.

I've tried putting a screen of hardware cloth (1/2" square grid) around the chimney cap, and it works fine. But it's a pain to install and remove it every fall and spring, because the roof is metal and 10/12 slope. I can't decide if it hurts the draft to just leave the screen installed the whole year. If it does, it's a subtle effect. So I'm curious of others' experiences and opinions on whether leaving the screen in place permanently is a bad idea or not.

Also curious if there are other options, replacing the existing chimney cap (I believe it's the Selkirk MetalBest line, about 30 years old):

Some places sell a "spark arrestor", which they say is 1/2" x 1" diamond pattern, so maybe a little less restrictive than 1/2"-square hardware cloth I'm using.

And finally, the Selkirk site lists some new-fangled chimney caps. Maybe one of the would work better ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.48.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.48.54 PM.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.50.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.50.48 PM.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.46.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 12.46.03 PM.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 185
The larger screen is worth a try. The only time we have had a plugged screen is when we were burning damp maple. Burning dry wood in the T6 it has not been an issue.

I have Selkirk's Deluxe rain cap. I have had a bird .... and rain enter and end up in my fire box. I'd try the screen.

I've definitely not had the 1/2" mesh come anywhere close to getting clogged up. But flue draft being such a fickle thing, I still worry about any thing that might compromise it.

The larger screen is worth a try. The only time we have had a plugged screen is when we were burning damp maple. Burning dry wood in the T6 it has not been an issue.
Then the question becomes, how coarse can the mesh be and still have birds not get through it ? Only one way to find out, I guess.

I've definitely not had the 1/2" mesh come anywhere close to getting clogged up. But flue draft being such a fickle thing, I still worry about any thing that might compromise it.

Then the question becomes, how coarse can the mesh be and still have birds not get through it ? Only one way to find out, I guess.
Yes, I can understand not wanting to have to deal with this in the middle of the winter. The diamond mesh is common on simple fireplace flues. Worth a try.

I had the Selkirk's Deluxe rain cap installed on my pipe too when I got the stove installed last summer. Had a bird fall in and die not even two weeks after I was done burning for the season. Wasn't interested in that happening again so I purchased one of these caps:

nle5ip_wsa_06tdw_00_6-air-cooled-weathershield-cap.jpg

I plan on leaving it on during this burn season and I'll see how clean it stays. I kept the old cap as well, worse case scenario is I'd have to go up on the roof twice a year to switch caps out. I feel that would grow old pretty fast having to switch caps out but l'll do it if this newer cap doesn't work out.

Looks like one of these. Can't quite figure out the pros and cons of various ones. some are MUCH more expensive:

Do you think any old cap from any old brand will fit onto any old class A pipe? Are the threads the same?

Do you think any old cap from any old brand will fit onto any old class A pipe? Are the threads the same?
I dunno. I do know that it's not threaded. My Selkirk just as three "legs" that fit over the outside and then a big hose clamp that fits around them and secures them.

Guess I'll call these guys and ask.

I like the look of that. Can you provide a link, or any info that will help me find it ? Is that mesh grid about 1/2"-square ?

Actually ordered my cap from my local fireplace store and they delivered it to me (I'm only 5 min away from them). Cost was $95. Went through them since they did my pipe install and would know exactly which cap to order.

It is the same cap as this one:

It has 1 inch gaps in the mesh which is perfect.

I would contact your local fireplace store to see if they can order ^ that cap (or one really similar), they should be able to tell if it'll fit your system.

Local fireplace store is worthless. I called that site linked in post #8 and they said I should get:

I believe my chimney is considered "solid pack" because there's no gap between the inner and outer walls of pipe up at the top where the chimney cap fits on. The one linked in post #11 is called "air insulated" which I think means it's for pipe where the space between inner and outer layers in air-filled. Not sure why it matters though, since both of these fit down inside the inner pipe.

If I get the one linked in this post, the big question for me is whether to get the 1" or 1/2" mesh. The 1" is obviously less likely to clog or impact the draft. I'm not convinced my birds can't slip through it though. My existing stock Selkirk cap has a gap that is only a little larger, maybe 1.25", though it is not a mesh, it goes all the way around the circumference, with only three "legs" to hold the "roof" up.

My cap has 1" diamond expanded metal (i.e sides of diamond are 1" long, the diamond is approx 1.5" tall but only 0.75" wide). I've never had birds come down, nothing much bigger than a hummingbird could get through that, and it's never come remotely close to clogging. This year I did burn poorly seasoned wood for the last three weeks, and it was noticeably more crusted, but still not significant.

TE

Reactions: RustyShackleford