Bixby Pellet Stove - Little To No Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is the exh pipe new or is it used? If it is used its possible the inner pipe has pin holes and leaking but I have never seen anything like what you are describing. Here is one thought pull the exh off the back of the stove and make sure the inside pipe on the stove isn't broke or loose. I also think you are running the exh fan way to high. There is something that should be easily seen. The outer pipe should be cold and the inner one will be warm but not crazy hot.
Hi Rona,
We went up to camp and tried again to get the stove working. We think that the feeder wheel isn't allowing enough pellets to fall into the fire pot. We put a couple handfuls of pellets in there and it gave us heat like we think it should. Then the wood pellets burned up and there just wasn't enough pellets falling to keep the flame going. We did try all feed speeds and it just didn't seem like they were falling enough. We did decide that the the left and right heat exchanger plates are missing. Do you have any idea where we could purchase these?
Also, we are going to buy a bag of whole corn and see if they will feed the wheel any better thus providing us the heat we need to warm up this cabin. We're hoping that the wood pellets just aren't the right size to feed the fire pot.

Without those exchanger plates the flow of the exhaust not limited nor is not flowing properly over the exchanger but almost straight out the exhaust. As I thought something was missing:(
Those plates are critical for that stove.

Is the exh pipe new or is it used? If it is used its possible the inner pipe has pin holes and leaking but I have never seen anything like what you are describing. Here is one thought pull the exh off the back of the stove and make sure the inside pipe on the stove isn't broke or loose. I also think you are running the exh fan way to high. There is something that should be easily seen. The outer pipe should be cold and the inner one will be warm but not crazy hot.
Hi Rona,
We went up to camp and tried again to get the stove working. We think that the feeder wheel isn't allowing enough pellets to fall into the fire pot. We put a couple handfuls of pellets in there and it gave us heat like we think it should. Then the wood pellets burned up and there just wasn't enough pellets falling to keep the flame going. We did try all feed speeds and it just didn't seem like they were falling enough. We did decide that the the left and right heat exchanger plates are missing. Do you have any idea where we could purchase these?
Also, we are going to buy a bag of whole corn and see if they will feed the wheel any better thus providing us the heat we need to warm up this cabin. We're hoping that the wood pellets just aren't the right size to feed the fire pot.
Without those exchanger plates the flow of the exhaust not limited nor is not flowing properly over the exchanger but almost straight out the exhaust. As I thought something was missing:(
Those plates are critical for that stove.
wel that makes perfect sense. Now the important part is where do we purchase these plates? The D&D farm supply site that show Bixby parts has an email address thats not good. So the question is Where to buy. I thought Ebay woukd surly have but no luck there either

PM Ron. He has the address of the guy that has parts for the stoves. If worse comes to worse I could see if someone could copy off mine.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving. Your a lot closer to the stove running properly now.

Hi Rona,

wel that makes perfect sense. Now the important part is where do we purchase these plates? The D&D farm supply site that show Bixby parts has an email address thats not good. So the question is Where to buy. I thought Ebay woukd surly have but no luck there either
I sent you a PM
Hi Rona,
You need both the right and left panels- Google Bixby Stove Parts and you should find a business in Minneapolis Minn. When you find that call the number. More then likely you will get a answering machine and he will call you back so when he does tell him you have a Maxfire and need both panels. He should be able to give you a price. I can't locate used ones

Reactions: Bioburner
I sent you a PM

You need both the right and left panels- Google Bixby Stove Parts and you should find a business in Minneapolis Minn. When you find that call the number. More then likely you will get a answering machine and he will call you back so when he does tell him you have a Maxfire and need both panels. He should be able to give you a price. I can't locate used ones
Thank you for trying to locate the plates. Appreciate your time. Will try that place in Minn although I've tried emailing them several times.

Again thank you fit trying

Thank you for trying to locate the plates. Appreciate your time. Will try that place in Minn although I've tried emailing them several times.

Again thank you fit trying
Try contacting Ralph Blume at 717-776-5237. He is a Bixby dealer and may be able to find the plates from a salvage unit. I have to drive 50 miles to a fabricator then show him what you need then get a price from him plus find out the postage then call you to find out if you want to spend that kind of money plus then get back to the fabricator as to yes make it or not- Then pick up and package the parts. It would be much easier if he had those panels and he may have. Usually most dealers had a parts stove but I always make them work for resale.

Reactions: Chered1
Try contacting Ralph Blume at 717-776-5237. He is a Bixby dealer and may be able to find the plates from a salvage unit. I have to drive 50 miles to a fabricator then show him what you need then get a price from him plus find out the postage then call you to find out if you want to spend that kind of money plus then get back to the fabricator as to yes make it or not- Then pick up and package the parts. It would be much easier if he had those panels and he may have. Usually most dealers had a parts stove but I always make them work for resale.
Hi Rona,

You and I communicated back in Nov 2015. I have the Bixby MaxFire 115 (S/N in the 7000 figure) and you suggested that the cover plates were missing for the heat exchanger and you were right. The in-laws got them fabricated and put in. We have used corn, regular wood pellets and premium hardwood pellets and the stove works fine during startup and then there is no flame and no heat to speak of coming out of the stove. I have tried for hours adjusting exhaust and feed rates and nothing is working. I know that you need to make small changes and wait awhile before making further changes. This I did thus the hours of trying to get it to heat. After the startup, the pellets were falling every 48 seconds after all the adjustments and hours of letting it work through each cycle the pellet dump was happening every 18 seconds. Still it seemed that enough pellets were not being dumped to cause a flame. All I could see in the fire pot was red hot coals as it appeared air was keeping them red hot. The only time it blew out hot air (120-140°) was at startup and then the flame went down and nothing. I was never able to get a flame like it does at startup. Very frustrating. Someone has suggested sending the motherboard to you to get update as they felt that it sounded like a motherboard problem. How much would that cost?

I just don't understand. The last setting was at exhaust fan at -3, feed at +3

Try contacting Ralph Blume at 717-776-5237. He is a Bixby dealer

Have they taken the rear panels off inside the firebox and cleaned the exchangers? I have no pictures in my library for the Bixby YET:) That stove probably out does any stove out there in extracting heat so something is wrong and exchanger design is not that outlandish.

Hi , I cant seem to post on this site but going to post it here and maybe someone can help.
Our bixby starts fine however it wont stay running beyond level 1, after running the stove for roughly 3 hrs the stove get very quite, the flame is still burning with some heat coming out. I replaced the bearings in the fan motor, cleaned the exchangers, cleaned the burn pot and the filter.
Was told its not getting enough air, I am stumped!!

Open side where control panel is and look for that brown stiff wire with a small flag on it. It is supposed to be connected to J18 on upper right corner of the main board. It can fall off very easy and your stove will act like you describe. It will also fit on the smaller igniter board but don't put it on there. It belongs on the main big board. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Reactions: Bioburner