BK Insert with a 5.5" chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
I'm considering changing out my insert to go with a BK. Unfortunately, I have a 5.5" liner with no chance of going bigger. The chimney is about 25' or 30' high. Does anyone one know if a BK will breathe OK with this sort of chimney?
Thanks

It will most likely be fine. There’s always a chance of some issues obviously, but considering the height I’d say you’d be ok. Curious why the small liner?

Thanks for the quick reply! Forty years ago my father in law built the place and I think he told the brick layer that he had to have a 2" air gap for the chimney. As a result the clay flue liner in the chimney is really small.

Thanks for the quick reply! Forty years ago my father in law built the place and I think he told the brick layer that he had to have a 2" air gap for the chimney. As a result the clay flue liner in the chimney is really small.
So I'm just curious...looks like you currently have a Regency i2400 insert, which is considered a very good heater. Any specific reason why you are deciding to replace it?

I really like what I have, but burning softwood in our mild climate has its issues. My biggest issues are the cycling of the heat and the burn time. I would hope a cat would even out the heat and extend burn times past six or seven hours. I also wonder if I would save wood?

Thanks Mellow,
The fireplace and chimney run up through the middle of the house. With our temps here on the coast I would really like the ability for the fire to go low and slow. As it is now when the secondaries get going, the house gets too hot and then after the fire has been out a few hours, the house it too cold. It's great when we get a "cold snap" but for lots of the time here it would be considered shoulder season for many of you.

The heat curve is less severe with a cat stove, especially one that regulates the air intake like the BK's, it is more even on the low heat output, I think you would benefit from that in your setup/locale.

I would venture to say you would be ok running 5.5" with that kind of height, just make sure to insulate the liner with a cat stove (lower exhaust temps). If anything you might run into overdraft issues on the really cold days, but that is not a given.

I run my Princess(freestanding) on 5.5. I have about 27' of liner plus 3' or so of double wall. Early on I had some spillage on reloads but have worked/learned my way around it for the most part.