BK Princess question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
Hardrockmaple said:
Thank you to the Princess owners who replied, your times are as I had expected. Now, BK Princess or DW Large...tough decision for me as I really like the side load thing and my little DW has served me very well over the years. Thanks again.

I have burned wood in the same Dutchwest XL for over twenty years. I have never understood the bad rap that this stove has gotten as it is a very capable decent looking stove with essentially no design changes other than removal of the shaker grate and the addition of the air wash system so I understand your dilemma. The price of the XL is extremely reasonable also when you consider you can get one brand new for $1650. The Princess does have the added benefit of the thermostat which is extremely nice. Really it just boils down to how much you wan to spend and if you need a t-stat. On a side note how is your draft? If you have plenty of draft you could always opt for the XL and run it on a 6"chimney you just can't use the fireplace screen with a 6" chimney. It's A tough choice good luck!

Yup, I sure do like my little DW. The new stove will be going in the basement where there are no draft issues. 42 ft. masonry flue, straight up through the center of the house. The Newmac there now has a T-stat and has provided decent service for over 20 years. Time for something new though. The only reason I'm even considering a BK is I can get one for wholesale ($1850.00) + tax, the new DW is at wholesale as well and I know the stove. Probably going to get the DW. I looked at a new DW last weekend and there is absolutely no change from mine to the new one. If it works, don't fix it. Others may like certain things in a stove, I know what I like in mine. Side load, ash pan, catalyst, no troubles. :zip:

Having owned both a recent model large VC Dutchwest and now a BK Princess, in my personal opinion the BK has many significant advantages. A MUCH longer burn time, simpler to operate, deeper firebox, quieter fan, larger catalyst, etc. The DW was fine, I liked it while I owned it. But I'll never go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.