Black Deposit on Lopi Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshanno1

Aug 20, 2011
Central Ia
I've been burning in a Lopi Freedom insert for about a year now and feel like I've started to get the hang of it. Last night I loaded it up before heading to bed and after it took off shut down the air like I do most nights. The slow burn often leaves the glass a little dirty but when I got up this morning the glass was completely black. I took the door off and out to the garage to clean it and the deposit on the glass was black and hardened; needed a razor blade to remove it. I've never had this happen before and wonder if any of you have any idea what might have happened happened. BTW, the wood I'm burning is dry and seasoned elm, walnut and ash, all between 15-19% MC. Thanks.

If the wood is dry like you say it may be as simple as you turned it down too much or too soon.

I suspect you have some less seasoned pieces that smoldered. It could be the stove air was closed a bit too soon. Next time, start a brisk fire. It will usually burn that black stuff right off.

Sounds like, for whatever reason, you lost that hot burn and smoldered through the night.
It happens.

I'm new to this obsession that has taken me over. I have a Lopi Revere that I just recently purchased used ( 2/2002 model), this will be my first burning season. The last 2 nights a experienced the exact same thing, I even used a razor blade to remove. I'm burning oak , maple and cherry. I don't know the mc, haven't bought a meter yet. I did notice a black tar like substance just inside the door opening which I believe it is burning off and settling on both sides of the door glass. Throughout the day today I have noticed the film slowly returning. Not sure of what I did that caused this issue. Even the door gasket has become stained. Anyone have any suggestions for this wood burning rookie ? The only thing I ever burned was rolled, but that was in my youth and for another discussion.

Some times the glass cleans up just fine after a few burns. I've smoldered the hell out of my fair share of burns and blackened a door or two in my time. Never had to take the door off. Let the air wash do it's thing a few times and clean up what you need with some damp ash.

I sometimes get black stuff at the ends of my lopi revere, I think it's usually because I have a less seasoned piece of wood really close to the glass, or one of my east west pieces roll forward when I'm not looking. I just burn a load to 650-700 stovetop and it seems to clean the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.