Black locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badbob

Mar 19, 2009
Cape Cod Ma
This is my first post. Have been visiting this site all winter, new Dutchwest medium cast iron stove. Tradergordos video's have been very informative and well done. Most of his results are similar to mine. Had the stove running for two month's before watching the video kind of figured it out myself with help from owners manual. Love seeing every ones pictures of wood piles. Just scored almost a cord of ironwood, Black locust. I am currently doing some remodeling ie deck and new kitchen for a new customer. She asked me to get rid of two dead pine trees I said shore if you let me take a few black locust trees on the property. Done deal. Seems to split real easy should be ready for next winter. hope to get some big btu 's from it i mostly burn red oak

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 436
I also was doing some kitchen remodeling for a customer, while I was there the homeowner asked if I knew of anyone who would haul off some brush. I said I would, the job paid $100. It was about 1/2 a cord of cherry already cut to 18" and the brush. The most enjoyable job I have had in awhile! :)

Bigg_Redd said:
Locust is the best firewood there is, beside Pacific Yew and Madrona.

Osage Orange is the top of my list, but the locust is right underneath it, almost smudging out the name.

Locust is awesome. the pieces don't get much lighter when split - way heavier than oak and burn awesome - smoke smells a little funky sometimes. I lucked out this year and have tons of locust to burn next winter.

I too am doing a home repair (Sill replacement on 100+ year old house) The customer of course has more things to add on. I asked if I could cut some wood from her lot next door. She said fine. There are oak trees laying about 1 foot off the ground with the bark long gone. Talk about picking low hanging fruit!

Status
Not open for further replies.