1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Black Locust?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Remmy122, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Remmy122

Remmy122 New Member

Loc:
    East NC
    Im 99.9999% sure this was a black locust I cut down in Jan. at my old fraternity house. My own doubt is that this is the ONLY BL that I have seen ANYWHERE besides the immediate area.

Ive seen here where I can cut back the suckers to get a new tree. Right now the stump is COVERED in new growth and there are suckers growing all over the place.

Photos are of leafs and of part of the stump (ants went to town on it)

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    From the leaves and the wood, black locust.
    The bark looks kinda thin, though; it's typically much thicker than that, proportionally.
    They'll send up suckers like crazy from the roots, too. Considered an invasive by CT DEP.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Leaves say BL. Hard to tell, are those thick pieces of bark on there or something else?
    I split some BL yesterday aft. Rounds weren't as weathered as the one in your pic, but the grain certainly looks the same.
    I've scrounged a bit of it from nearby, and am anxious to try it out. I've read here that it's hard to light, but I'm just going to put a split or two on the top of loads of other wood to extend the burn time if needed.
  4. NordicSplitter

NordicSplitter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western,NY
    After you split it open, if it looks like the color salmon on the inside.......Black Locust it is. Great wood
  5. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    It's amazing how fast the suckers grow out of the stumps and the surrounding area. You'll have more firewood in no time.
  6. Remmy122

Remmy122 New Member

Loc:
    East NC
    color blind, so thats not an option :)

The bark was alot thicker than this shows.

Do I need to cut some of the suckers back for it to grow into a tree and not the insane bush it is right now? The guys at the fraternity house could careless, but Im thinking firewood :)
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Looks like a fast-growing tree, judging by the growth rings. I've got some dead/standing on a couple of neighbors' places, maybe I should try to prune or promote growth on the stuff that's still alive...
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    You will want to thin the suckers, leaving only one, or perhaps a couple if you want a mulit-trunk tree or a small grove of trees. The suckers come up way too close together, so there is not room for all of them to grow into trees. Select a couple of straight ones and remove the rest. Repeat frequently. I think after a while the tree will send up fewer suckers, but it will always produce some suckers that you'll need to cut.