1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Blase King, WoodChuck and PSG

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by jasnake65, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jasnake65

jasnake65 New Member

Loc:
    Mich
    Found two local installers and that sell Blase King, woodchuck and PSG. Be about a week before they come out and see my set up and give me the pricing. Beem reading and looks like everyone is happy with the PSG. Did a search and found nothing about the Blase King and some info about the Woodchuck 2900. Does anyone have any info on the Blase King? Is there still a tax deductable for 2013? Has anyone hooked on up to Zone Heating system as I have with the current LP unit.
    Anything you would have done differently once it was installed?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    There's been a few users of the blaze king in the past, I think herbster? is one of them. The few people that had them seemed to like them. There's also quite a few users on here of the Woodchuck and there's a few of us with Caddy's. The Blaze King is a Catalyst furnace, the PSG is a non-cat furnace and the Woodchuck is a standard woodfurnace. Out of the three, if you have local support I would choose PSG, or Blaze King. The Woodchuck is a well built furnace, but contains nothing special as far as efficiency is concerned, wood consumption will be higher than the other two. The PSG being EPA-B415.1, and the Blaze King being B415.1 make them both clean burners.

With the nature of a wood furnace putting heat into the house whether needed or not (to cool the firebox), I don't think a zoned system will work. A central furnace cycles off demand and shuts off. A wood furnace does not, as long as there's fuel, there's heat. I'm no hvac tech, but I can't see it being good for a system with a wood furnace.
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    FWIW, I turn my BK stove "off" pretty frequently mid burn cycle when I go to work and know I am going to get decent solar gain. Then, turn the tstat back up when I get home and continue the burn cycle. Probably wouldn't want to do it as often as a gas furnace but a couple times a burn cycle probably isn't the end of the world.